Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Bird of prey / Adult torts

Im in shock. Some sort of bird of prey has just landed right outside my torts greenhouse after swooping to snatch a bird. It was only on the ground for seconds before taking off again with the other black bird squawking in hot pursuit!

I have never seen a bird of prey round here before, apart from magpies. Do you think this poses a risk to my adult torts? The area is not netted - its too big an area to do so. It does have lots of hides, some bushes & tall trees but also open areas for basking.

My neighbour thinks it may have been a "red kite" I only saw it for a split second, it had a hawk like body & head & red on the top half of its back.

Last edited by burnt toast; 27-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
pagan queen
Adult

Could it be one of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Kestrel
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Could have been Wendy, I was not expecting it (bet the bird would have said that too!) & didnt see it for long. I did see a distinct colour change from the head to the shoulders & upperback which were definately reddish coloured. Just googled red kite & dont think it was one of those!
Old 22-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Tenth Legion
Egg

It's a bird of prey as you said so yes surely it'll pose a threat, especially if there's no one in the garden. I'm sure birds of prey only go for animals that they can get their claws around, or are smaller than they are (in this country at least).
Research deterrents to try and scare them, like another bird call they're threatened by for example. We had a load of starlings in the area and got rid of them by playing owl calls.
A few years ago my Dad and I were on his speedboat...we ran aground ...and we witnessed a Peregrine Falcon absolutely destroy a crow, granted he had no shell but there was nothing left.
Tenth Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
pagan queen
Adult

If it was only that small, (they are not big birds) then It wouldn't be able to take your tortoises. They kill mice, voles and small birds. They are very light birds so wouldn't get off the ground with a tortoise as big as yours. They could carry off a hatchling though.

I get them in my garden, they are after the sparrows that are attracted to the garden by the chicken food that's available. They sit on our trampoline net. Beautiful bird and wonderful flyers. I always feel privileged to have been that close to one, it's not a bird you can get close to often.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

Thank you both for your replies. I will search deterents.

I have spoken to my Dad who is a big fan of birds of all kinds & knows a bit about them & he reckons they arent scared by people,so a scarecrow of sorts wouldnt work. I was less than 20ft away from where it landed, 2 of us working, making a noise.

I think im going to add more plants to the enclosures to give them natural cover. My Dad doesnt want me to use netting as he reckons it will harm birds of which we have a lot in the garden.
Old 22-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
purplelynn
Sub Adult

Could it be a sparrowhawk, they are grey with a reddish head/ back?
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Levi
Hatched

Had this little beauty in our garden a few weeks back, lunch is a pigeon.

Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
BirdieF18
Incubating

I work at raptor world at the scottish deer centre and i can tell you if it was a kestrel then it would not pose a threat to your tortoise kestrels along with peregrine falcons are the only falcons in the UK and falcons primarily go for prey in the air therefore that is why you may have seen it taking a bird they usually go for starling small birds like that etc. if it was a hawk, Buzzard or kite then it might have gone for it but i doubt it although hawks and buzzards in deserts do go for tortoises and drop them from high nights onto rocks to break their shell although as they have never seen a tortoise i doubt this would happen.

I hope this helps and i have not just scared you
P.s if it was mesh or strong netting they might not be able to get through.
One budgie-Poppy
One Horsfield Tortoise-Pumpkin
One Nosy Ankarea Panther Chameleon-Boggles
BirdieF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it would maybe be a buzzard, since the birds of prey became protected they have multiplied dramatically, thousand of buzzards round here and because there is so many, they are desperate for food and go for anything, people have even been attacked by them
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote