Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 24-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Stellanne
Hatchling

There are a few smaller hogs visit, they are a bit timid and generally run when they hear anyone approaching. The older ones just carry on eating, but tend to freeze when I take a photo. There were eight here one night.......they can be very noisy grunting and barking at each other. We haven't witnessed any fights but they do happen x x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

You may want to think about an Acorn wildlife camera - the basic ones are really good capturing those late night visitors , then you can zzzz while it does the work. they are so lovely stellanne you are very lucky and they are too with high quality cat food each night!
Old 26-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Pussygalore
Adult

most new houses simply have gardens to small and many are just to tidy for hogs to find food etc and I didn't know that badgers will eat them so that explains why we don't see any as we have badgers and foxes on the estate where we live. I haven't seen a hog for years although my mum still has one visit but their garden is a wilderness so anything wild feels at home there.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Stellanne
Hatchling

They just need to be able to access your garden. I live on an estate and the hogs probably visit half the houses on it, I have seen them walking down drives, across the road and up a neighbours drive. Since my garden was paved we have seen more hogs, I think they were around but obviously couldn't see them because of the undergrowth. And feeding them certainly brings them in. We do have a cheeky fox and when we first saw it worried about the hogs but the advice I received was that foxes rarely do damage to a hog, basically because a hog is more effort than it is worth when it rolls into a ball!!
Hedgehogs are in more danger by people with strimmers, lawn mowers, hedge cutters, cars, litter and pesticides than they are from other wildlife x x x. Hugs x x x
Old 27-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

Stellanne, what do you add to their boxes, dried leaves or something else, what are the options? I leave my guinea pig houses out in winter to double as potential cover for hoggies. But sadly no hoggies for quite a few years. And when do they start to hibernate....roughly...I know there is opportunity to rehome Hedgehogs but most rescues want them kick started in the house and apparently they make loads of noise at night indoors. I would need ear plugs for sure , CB
Old 27-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #16
Stellanne
Hatchling

You would need ear plugs that's for sure. I line the box floor with newspaper......and throw in a handful of dried leaves and a bit of straw. Then leave straw outside becUse they like to drag in their own bedding. It is good practice not to peep into the box as once disturbed the hog will leave. This is why we are never sure if the boxes are being used. David leaves sticks across the doorway and we check to see if they are disturbed. X x x hugs x x
Old 29-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

Daily Mail today says they are called an 'Array' of Hedgehogs and in 1995 there were 1.5 million but that may have decreased. I think we need a hedgehog survey on the SW site.
I am going to try and dry out a load of leafs for autumn....CB
Old 30-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #18
Stellanne
Hatchling

Most hog Carers will only release in an area where there are already hedgehogs, but the first option is to release where it was found, and of course you can't guarantee they will stay in your garden but feeding helps.
They start to slow down as the weather gets cooler and the nights get longer. Probably the end of October we begin to see them less regularly
When we first started feeding we did all winter, thinking a hog was coming to eat all the kitten biscuits until one day I saw the biggest, fattest cat in the world munching away. Then we decided to get a hog feeding station!!! X x xx. Hugs x x x x
Old 11-09-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
Stellanne
Hatchling

This is Tom who I discovered 'coughing' and took him to a carer. He was returned to me when he was better and spent the winter in a nice hibernation box.....not sure if he is still around cos one hog looks very much like another!!! X x x xhugs x x
Old 11-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #20
Wyannis
Hatchling

Awwww he is lovely! More fantastic pictures stellanne.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote