Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 23-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Daryn
Hatchling

Default Outside warming areas for your tortoise/save on electrictricity

I thought I had already wrote about this on here but cannot find it so thought I would write this small article to help those new to tortoise keeping.

My two tortes are never in the house, I keep them out as much as possible, if the weather is poor they live in a large cold frame which I have documented on here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=warming+area

A few years back when I first got my tortes I done alot of temperature experiments. I found knocking together a few bits of scrap decking with polycarbonate top provided alot of heat in a sunny spot of the garden. I now have a few of these dotted around. If you have a secure run just put one of these inside for them. Use Lumisol plastic instead of polycarb top now (thanks to the TT Trust for that) and this give them the UV they need .

Below are a few photos of mine when I first built one.

This picture is my own tortoise temperature after the unit being in the garden for one hour, these pictures were taken the beginning of April.

This photo is after 90 minutes as you can see your torte will get nice and warm.

Because of the size of the unit it doesnt take alot to warm up and your tortoise will get a great even warm up unlike basking lamps that hit them directly on the top, Ive never liked them lamps and hardly use mine.

To help retain heat paint the unit dark brown or black, also the base of the unit should be soil/sand/pea gravel mix unlike the wooden chipping I used in our border, this will all help retain warmth. Ive always try to replicate the wild as much as possible.

I also now have plastic stips at the entrance of these units to help keep the heat in.

It is much better than having them inside under artificial heat lamps they will love it. Think of the electricity you will save, free heat.

The spot thermometer dont lie.

I really hope this helps make you decide. Its cheap saves you money and does the trick.

Good luck and keep me posted if you try one

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

I've got something similar in all my torts' enclosures. Some have PVC roofs and you can see the edge of Oscar's here:

The female enclosure:

Little Chester's:

The quarantine enclosure:

Some of the others have Perspex for their roofs, recycled from an old playhouse window:

They are all pretty popular and we call them the torts' conservatories!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Lots of great ideas and designs there - thanks.
Old 24-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
Daryn
Hatchling

Nice enclosures emma

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks Daryn. The female enclosure needs to mature a bit as it was newly planted this spring, but I try and let the weeds grow and allow the torts to graze on them when they fancy.
The little warming areas were easy to make from off-cuts of wood. Everything was recycled from other parts of the garden, so cheap and easy to make.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 24-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
Stellanne
Hatchling

I have been checking out Lumisol sheeting as it seems such a great idea. I find a sheet 7.3 metres x 1 metre is £13.23p..... I think I could do my whole enclosure with that. It is such a good buy as the polycarbonate stuff I had for Tort Lodge was so expensive. I am having thoughts of making a cover for Tort Lodge Gardens which I could use February to April and then the later end of the year when heat would help keeping my creep up and feeding for a few weeks more x x x. Hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
I have been checking out Lumisol sheeting as it seems such a great idea. I find a sheet 7.3 metres x 1 metre is £13.23p..... I think I could do my whole enclosure with that. It is such a good buy as the polycarbonate stuff I had for Tort Lodge was so expensive. I am having thoughts of making a cover for Tort Lodge Gardens which I could use February to April and then the later end of the year when heat would help keeping my creep up and feeding for a few weeks more x x x. Hugs x x x
Sounds amazing! Please show us some photos when/if you do it. I'd love to see Tort Lodge and Tort Lodge Gardens.

Old 24-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #8
Stellanne
Hatchling

When I discuses Tort Lodge with a joiner he said 'oh a glorified rabbit hutch' which deflated me somewhat, but yes I guess he was right. And I am not sure how effective my plan was for tort housing but certainly for those that don't venture out in sunny day I can be sure they are getting some UV.
As for Tort Lodge Gardens I am continually re organising them as I have four TANKS who see it as their job to test any newly planted areas. They seem to need to sit on anything I plant, or walk on it continually, particularly if they can't eat it. It really is a thankless task.
I envy any enclosure I see that looks 'lovely'.....
X x x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm not surprised you felt deflated by the joiner's comments. To me, it sounds as if you put a lot of thought into it.
My males seem to have a nibble of their weeds in their enclosures and don't bother about anything else planted. The females on the other hand are monsters and like to munch everything! I don't think my new female enclosure will get the chance to mature until the winter when it'll be left in peace for a few months.
I'm sure Tort Lodge and Gardens are lovingly tended, even if your tanks don't always treat it with gratitude.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

I want a glorified rabbit hutch if they look like that ! Funny enough I buy r cheapy or rotten rabbit hutches cut the bottom off and sometimes the roof and replace with plastic on top and bobs your uncle a lovely cloche area to keep the rain off heat in.