Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 21-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
A disadvantage of hibernating tortoises in outbuildings is that the temperature can vary a lot.

The tortoise which went upside down has obviously been active and moving about a lot. This also means that some energy stores were used.

My suggestion is to monitor the temperature in the outbuilding. Because of the small mass, little tortoises can warm up quickly when temps rise.
I agree with Jonathan:0)
Your temps got to high and it made your tortoise move.
Are they in seperate boxes or the same one?

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
Kighill
Incubating

Thank you for your answer. I have just checked the temperature and humidity the temp was 8c and the humidity 55.
They are kept together in a large box of coco coir. I am keeping them together whilst they are juvenile. I did have some straw on top of them along with some bubble wrap. I removed the straw when I found the tort on its back and put more bubble wrap into the box and down the sides.
The room they are in does not tend to fluctuate to much and I have fitted a greenhouse heater in the room to prevent freezing. The temp is usually between 3/5C. However not monitored everyday.
When I over winter them next I will be using the fridge method and will buy a new one just for them.
At the moment they are in a cardboard box containing a plastic box of coco coir standing on four inches of insulation in a room within a room both insulated with four inches of foam insulation.
The fridge is definitely the way to go.
Ps I think I know how the tortoise ended up on its back. The plastic box is triangular in shape and I rather foolishly left a gap at the side. One small step could of led to her toppling over the side.
I have now filled the gap with bubble wrap.

Last edited by Kighill; 21-01-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Kighill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #13
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kighill View Post
Thank you for your answer. I have just checked the temperature and humidity the temp was 8c and the humidity 55.
They are kept together in a large box of coco coir. I am keeping them together whilst they are juvenile. I did have some straw on top of them along with some bubble wrap. I removed the straw when I found the tort on its back and put more bubble wrap into the box and down the sides.
The room they are in does not tend to fluctuate to much and I have fitted a greenhouse heater in the room to prevent freezing. The temp is usually between 3/5C. However not monitored everyday.
When I over winter them next I will be using the fridge method and will buy a new one just for them.
At the moment they are in a cardboard box containing a plastic box of coco coir standing on four inches of insulation in a room within a room both insulated with four inches of foam insulation.
The fridge is definitely the way to go.
Ps I think I know how the tortoise ended up on its back. The plastic box is triangular in shape and I rather foolishly left a gap at the side. One small step could of led to her toppling over the side.
I have now filled the gap with bubble wrap.
No two tortoises are the same, hence one probably needs it to be colder longer than the other.
I always kept my tortoises in seperate boxes when I used to hibernate them that way. Far better naturally in my opinion if you have the option:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote