Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 26-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Theodora
Egg

Default Not feeding

i have rescued a 6 year old Horsefield tortoise called Sid. The vet gave him the once over and said he is in good shape and to feed him weeds. I have a long list of what he should and should not eat. Unfortunately, Sid can’t read and refuses to eat anything other than cucumber, courgette, lettuce and strawberries. He will eat tortoise pellets but only the pink ones. He chews away at the cuttlefishbone and his terracotta pot (he likes to bask in there as well). I was advised to only give him weeds until he’s hungry enough to want to eat them. After ten days of Sid not eating I am worried as he should be eating loads and getting fat ready for hibernation. Any advice please?
Theodora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
i have rescued a 6 year old Horsefield tortoise called Sid. The vet gave him the once over and said he is in good shape and to feed him weeds. I have a long list of what he should and should not eat. Unfortunately, Sid can’t read and refuses to eat anything other than cucumber, courgette, lettuce and strawberries. He will eat tortoise pellets but only the pink ones. He chews away at the cuttlefishbone and his terracotta pot (he likes to bask in there as well). I was advised to only give him weeds until he’s hungry enough to want to eat them. After ten days of Sid not eating I am worried as he should be eating loads and getting fat ready for hibernation. Any advice please?
I give mine pellets (with a little water on them) daily and they also eat the weeds growing outside too. Make sure he has water available and it's a good idea to soak him in a basin of luke warm shallow water for 15 minutes every day or two in the morning if possible before he becomes active with the heat.
The only pellets my one will eat are T-Rex dry formula which are generally not available in the shops but are on Amazon and Ebay.
A bit of romaine lettuce is better than nothing. If we were to suddenly stop eating stuff that we have been used to then would would feel unwell, I certainly did when I had to change my eating habits

Last edited by Alan1; 01-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodora View Post
He only eats cucumber etc because he knows if he holds out thats what you will give him:0)
Tortoises can go weeks without food (humans panic because we dont:0) ) but not water. So he knows if he holds out you will feed him the junk food:0)
No healthy tortoise will refuse food. So you have to be the stronger one, dont feed him junk, just weeds. He will eat, but you will stress:0)
It took me three months once to get a male ibera to eat good foods. I put him in a safe enclosure outside, with suitable plants for him. And watched him. He lasted a week before he started to try the weeds in his enclosure. But refused any extra I put in for him:0)
They are really stubbon, so you have to be more stubbon, and dont panic.
You could mix weeds in with the pelleted foods, especially if you damp the pellets and put the smell onto the weeds. Then gradually reduce the pellets:0)
Or cut up cucumber and put the smell onto the weeds. You have to get crafty:0)
Mix all the junk foods with weeds to get the smell onto them. Then reduce the junk foods.
A few ways to try so you dont panic as much:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree with Sandy.

Tortoises are very good at manipulating their keepers into giving them the food they want.

If Sid is in good shape, and not low weight or badly affected by his past life, he can be switched over to weeds! I wouldn't worry too much about hibernation at the moment.