Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 04-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by swad1000 View Post
Yeah I've just been looking at it, not sure its a lot of use in tortoise keeping. As its UVB that we're most interested in and I don't think it measures in a small enough wavelength range to give usefull figures.

A bit like using a lux meter to measure UVB.
I checked it out in Maplins tonight and it's just a gadget for telling you how long you can safely stay in the sun, it even has an alarm on it. It's just small and you can wear it on your wrist I think. I took phone pics of it but won't bother posting them as too much hassle

it is £2.99
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #42
TortMad
Adult

I've had many troubles with MVB's

T-rex bulbs have blown or exploded and Darren has replaced a few mega rays both 100, 120 and 160w versions

The replaced mega rays have flickered, flickered on and off then just not come back on. Not worked completely, elements over heated in the lamps (tho this problem has now been rectified by mega ray)

On the plus side all my mega ray problems have been in warranty.

I tend to have a spate of mega ray problems then nothing for a while

I still stand by the satement that the mega rays are the best reptile lamps and mine are still giving off a good UVB readings and some "should" be ready to be replaced

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #43
Curious1
Egg

Hi.

Just reading this, Ive had my current bulb for almost 3 years. It gets used quite a lot. It was a powersun I think not sure on the wattage. Would you suggest that this needs replacing?

Also if I were to replace it, what would you reccomend - id likely go for the mega ray but am unsure on what watt bulb would be best?

Thank you.
Curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #44
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious1 View Post
Hi.

Just reading this, Ive had my current bulb for almost 3 years. It gets used quite a lot. It was a powersun I think not sure on the wattage. Would you suggest that this needs replacing?

Also if I were to replace it, what would you reccomend - id likely go for the mega ray but am unsure on what watt bulb would be best?

Thank you.
It will most likely need replacing.

The Megarays are apparently changing back from 120w too 100w which is what they were just over a year ago. These are supposedly going to be available in the next 2 or 3 weeks (in the UK anyway) so I'd hold off until then. A lot of people have had problems with the 120w which is probably why they are going back to 100w though no doubt that wouldn't be admitted
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #45
Curious1
Egg

Thanks for your reply. I decided it better to be safe than sorry and bit the bullet and purchased a mega ray last night. I purchased the 120w so am a little worried since you have mentioned the problems with them now haha.

I suppose its under guarantee for 6 months so if anything does go wrong with it at least ill probably be able to get it replaced with one of the 100w ones you mentioned.

Thanks for your help - Ive always fed my tortoise well on weeds etc but I am learning so much more reading through this site.
Curious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #46
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious1 View Post
Thanks for your reply. I decided it better to be safe than sorry and bit the bullet and purchased a mega ray last night. I purchased the 120w so am a little worried since you have mentioned the problems with them now haha.

I suppose its under guarantee for 6 months so if anything does go wrong with it at least ill probably be able to get it replaced with one of the 100w ones you mentioned.

Thanks for your help - Ive always fed my tortoise well on weeds etc but I am learning so much more reading through this site.
Most people have had no problems, you only tend to hear from those who have had problems whether it be bulbs, cars or washing machines. This is the reason for this thread really so that those who've not had a problem can also say so and get a better overall picture
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #47
TortBabe
Adult

I use an Arcadia compact bulb which I have to say is doing the job ok x
Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #48
fats
Incubating

I had a 120w Megaray that started turning itself off after 1 months use, reptilekeeping swapped it out without any problems though
fats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #49
yuna1971
Adult

I had that problem...and I was told that "it was because they get hot, so they switch off then switch back on again". I wasnt sure I believed it, i was told it would not keep happening. But even the makers of the bulb said they should not do that.
However....since that time, it has not happened.
But I am intending to buy another MV bulb as a stand by. I think i will probably replace the one I have after 12months or so. I know, before anybody says - I know the MR are meant to last longer but i dont own one of those UV gauges that measure the UV outpput, so in light of this and considering its a wise investment anyway - I intend to just keep a standby on hand - kind of like a "rolling contract with a MV bulb".
I am looking athe one Kirkie said about...the Komodo UV-Sun. BLIMEY! Strewth! See what you mean Kirkie about the prices - we are talking more expensive than the MR Metal Halide bulbs - nearly £100!! But...they MUST be good. I may invest in one.
I also might replace my deep dome to something that can hold more wattage that the current one can. I remember the makers of the MR (Reptile UV .com) saying that the holders need to be able to handle the wattage of the bulb and then some.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 08-02-2010 at 11:30 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #50
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I saw a Komodo on ebay for £45 or something. I linked to it somewhere but there was only one. you never know if it's been used though when you get them off ebay