Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 23-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Crwban
Hatchling

Default Roses query

Hello

Something a relative read the other day said that scented roses were dangerous for reptiles, but unscented ones were okay. He wasn't sure if it was for all reptiles, or just non-tort reptiles, but thought he should let me know.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have a horsfield and I will be getting a rose plant soon, so I'd like to know if there's any truth in this.

Thanks
Crwban
Crwban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

all rose petals are okay as far as I know but not the leaves of any roses. my torts won't eat roses
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Easter Bunny
Adult

I feed mine the petals and leaves off the rose bush. On the tortoisetable website they say both are safe to feed.

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I know. the tortoise table site often differs from other lists, I don't know why that is or who does the research.

It says in some tortoise books that only the petals should be fed and any search on this forum will most likely come up with petals only http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...oses+safe+feed

the tortoise table actually says okay as a treat.

the leaves contain something that isn't good, can't remember what but it wasn't oxalates

Edit> Saponins is what it is, it's in that thread linked. Saponins are poisonous to fish, maybe not to torts but who knows, no one actually knows whether things are poisonous to torts, we only go by what is poisonous to humans and the rest is assumption or guesswork.

My motto is if in doubt, hoy it out. that goes for any plants that are said to be not good on more than a few lists. The tortoisetable is a very good site but it's always wise to check out more than one.. a bit like compare the meerkat

Last edited by Alan1; 23-05-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 23-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
all rose petals are okay as far as I know but not the leaves of any roses. my torts won't eat roses
Gosh I have slipped up again then, George loves both petals and leaves. Not that I gave them to him, they fell into his enclosure one day and I didnt stop him eating.

Oh well, that was weeks ago now but thanks for this thread. Thats me learnt !!!! ha

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkenny View Post
Gosh I have slipped up again then, George loves both petals and leaves. Not that I gave them to him, they fell into his enclosure one day and I didnt stop him eating.

Oh well, that was weeks ago now but thanks for this thread. Thats me learnt !!!! ha
I certainly don't know for sure Karin, it's just the lists I have read that say petals but not leaves, the Tortoise Table site may have good reason for saying it's ok. It may be one of those types that if fed once it won't harm them but over a period of time it might become toxic if the toxins are allowed to build up who knows, the TTT is saying ok as a treat only. Dandelion is listed everywhere as safe but is in fact unsafe on a daily basis.

As a general rule do not feed shiny leaves .. but there are always exceptions
Old 23-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

Oh, I went by the tortoise table and fed both for some time now. oh, well another one off their diet now

I did only feed the new tiny leaves though, so may not be so bad.

Lynne
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I once came across a couple of american sites that had lists for russian torts and they had something down as 'do not feed' that was on all other lists as ok and it was a pretty common plant like pansy or viola or something like that like all other advice you have to weigh it up then make your own decision. I think those two US sites, one had nicked the list off the other so really it was just one opinion but who knows how many sites just lift their info from someone else's site and if that original one is wrong then they're all wrong
Old 23-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I only feed the petal's occasionly, i just pick the wild pink rambler type when it's out.
Old 23-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
kkenny
Sub Adult

Great tips.

I have a rose bush next to the enclosure that is so pretty i dont wont to remove it so i am hoping that if it is an occaisional thing, it may well be ok.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote