Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Default Seeds- clover and plantain

Im probably being really blonde here but when do seeds apear on clover and plantain?
The clover flowers by me are going brown so when do seeds apear and how do you collect them.
I collected a huge bag full of the plantain stems where the seeds form, the flower has gone brown but when do the seeds apear? Below is a picture of a stem of a plantain.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Hi Sarah
The clover seeds are tiny and each flower on the head produces many tiny seeds that are generally dispersed when the dried head is knocked or blown in the wind.
If you carefully collect the dried brown heads and leaves those on a peace of white paper to dry completely then give them a shake this should retrieve the seeds and be easily seen on the white paper.
Plantain are easy to gather again leave the seed stems on white paper to dry then just run your hand up the stem to loosen the seeds.
Plantain is called white mans foots steps by north American Indians as it spread with the encroachment of white settlers the seeds being spread by being trapped in the ridges of peoples shoes
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Wow thanks darren but im still confused, i can run my hand over the plantain and little brown btis come off is this the seed or just the brown flower falling off?

Seeds or flower?

Or do i wait until these green bits go brown?

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 09-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
piglet
Adult

Flower petals and second picture yes there the seeds when they go brown they usually come a way really easy

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thank you darren, your a star!!!

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION