Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 15-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
True... I joined a certain forum before finding this one. The horror stories of formulated diets were firmly in-printed in my mind. TBH I'm afraid to feed them.
Ed I have confidence in what you have to say about formulated diets and now I'm slowly realising that variety is the key and not to get focused on one specific as other factors can easily be ignored

These threads seem to go on and on... lot's of talk but they never seem to come to any final conclusion.
Which reminds me I have a can of tomatoes in the larder!!!
Do check its salt content!
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

People who dismiss formulated diets probably use formulated supplements like Nutrobal, feed their fish flakes or pellets and give their dogs biscuits

People with tunnel vision get left behind
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Do check its salt content!
In the Pellet's or the Tinned Tomatoes.
Old 16-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
In the Pellet's or the Tinned Tomatoes.
Amusing thing Paul, having observed a number of wild populations of T g ibera, and T h boettgeri. Some of the best populations I have seen, in terms of density, and apparent viable status; that is to say, were in good numerical shape and exhibited animals in adult and sub adult form. These were in former salt pans in Greece and Turkey. Their natural habitat was, I would say, extremely high in salt content. In one particular population, in the area of Kaunos, near the town of Dalyan in Turkey. The location was also the site of a former Roman/Lycian hrarbour which over several millenia has silted up and the salt pans date back to antiquity. This might suggest, that the wild population of T g ibera, have survived many thousands of years in herbage which has high salt content!

Last edited by Geomyda; 16-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 16-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Amusing thing Paul, having observed a number of wild populations of T g ibera, and T h boettgeri. Some of the best populations I have seen, in terms of density, and apparent viable status; that is to say, were in good numerical shape and exhibited animals in adult and sub adult form. These were in former salt pans in Greece and Turkey. Their natural habitat was, I would say, extremely high in salt content. In one particular population, in the area of Kaunos, near the town of Dalyan in Turkey. The location was also the site of a former Roman/Lycian hrarbour which over several millenia has silted up and the salt pans date back to antiquity. This might suggest, that the wild population of T g ibera, have survived many thousands of years in herbage which has his salt content!
Very interesting observation
Old 16-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Amusing thing Paul, having observed a number of wild populations of T g ibera, and T h boettgeri. Some of the best populations I have seen, in terms of density, and apparent viable status; that is to say, were in good numerical shape and exhibited animals in adult and sub adult form. These were in former salt pans in Greece and Turkey. Their natural habitat was, I would say, extremely high in salt content. In one particular population, in the area of Kaunos, near the town of Dalyan in Turkey. The location was also the site of a former Roman/Lycian hrarbour which over several millenia has silted up and the salt pans date back to antiquity. This might suggest, that the wild population of T g ibera, have survived many thousands of years in herbage which has his salt content!
Makes you think doesn't it!
Old 16-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Very interesting observation
The Dalyan trip was written up, and published a few years ago in an article and a series of talks entitled "Tea with the Turtle Lady". Aside, the observation of healthy wild populations of T g ibera, it tells of my meeting with the very enigmatic "Kaptan June" Haimoff, the famous Turtle lady of Dalyan.

Last edited by Geomyda; 16-03-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 17-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
ibizathetort
Adult

Quote:
Amusing thing Paul, having observed a number of wild populations of T g ibera, and T h boettgeri. Some of the best populations I have seen, in terms of density, and apparent viable status; that is to say, were in good numerical shape and exhibited animals in adult and sub adult form. These were in former salt pans in Greece and Turkey. Their natural habitat was, I would say, extremely high in salt content. In one particular population, in the area of Kaunos, near the town of Dalyan in Turkey. The location was also the site of a former Roman/Lycian hrarbour which over several millenia has silted up and the salt pans date back to antiquity. This might suggest, that the wild population of T g ibera, have survived many thousands of years in herbage which has high salt content!
That is interesting to read
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #19
Kirkie
Adult

Wouldn't the simplist solution to this salty question be to get some urate analysis done for tortoises on various diets. *They're very good at crystalising and expelling wastes and excesses? I've got articles with standard reptilian Sodium and Chloride blood levels so a blood test would show if levels are excessive or if they are comparable, indicating the tortoise is able to regulate the levels and flush excess.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #20
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Wouldn't the simplist solution to this salty question be to get some urate analysis done for tortoises on various diets. *They're very good at crystalising and expelling wastes and excesses? I've got articles with standard reptilian Sodium and Chloride blood levels so a blood test would show if levels are excessive or if they are comparable, indicating the tortoise is able to regulate the levels and flush excess.
I firmly agree, that such studies would indeed, be helpful. It would however, require a good uniform sample of animals suitable for such a study. Any suggestions, where such an assemblage might be found?
Of course, it should also be defined with proper controls, and necessary protocols.