Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Nitwit
Incubating

Default New Red foot health not good

When I got the red foot I was so excited I didnt notice his soft under shell, found out its MBD and got him on calcium in water and food also looking to see if there is any light that really can up the uva uvb currently got a arcadia 100w spot mercury thing if there is anything on market with higher uva uvb out put please let me know.

Last edited by Nitwit; 01-08-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Nitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

oh that's a shame! Am sure someone will give you some good advise soon...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Box girl
Sub Adult

Keep doing what you are doing get outside when warm enough this will take time but don't worry. What are you feeding by the way personally I would steer clear of animal protein.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Nitwit
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box girl View Post
Keep doing what you are doing get outside when warm enough this will take time but don't worry. What are you feeding by the way personally I would steer clear of animal protein.
All weeds and grass I havent given him any animal protien, he used to be fed on zoomed pellets all the time its taken some doing and stubbornness to ween him off and as for warm enough to go outside wish the weather forcast wasnt rain for the next week, god if I could make the sun come out and shine on this little angel...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Box girl
Sub Adult

Pellets are Ok as part of the diet and give the protein needed. I feed Mazuri. Redfoots can take it quite cold (17 -18 degrees min) outside and like it when it's been raining! Don't need to be outside for long 30 mins to an hour is enough as you say need that elusive sun!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
All weeds and grass I havent given him any animal protien, he used to be fed on zoomed pellets all the time its taken some doing and stubbornness to ween him off and as for warm enough to go outside wish the weather forcast wasnt rain for the next week, god if I could make the sun come out and shine on this little angel...

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
Old 01-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

If it was the ZooMed grassland pellets used then I don't think they contain what your little Redfoot needs. Pretty sure they don't have D3.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Nitwit
Incubating

using nutrabol and ordered some d3 drops for their water to as well as limestone powder.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
Box girl
Sub Adult

Sounds perfect keep up the pellets as part of the diet as well, and get outside when you can. Ours loved the sunshine after the rain yesterday!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
If it was the ZooMed grassland pellets used then I don't think they contain what your little Redfoot needs. Pretty sure they don't have D3.
Are you using ZooMed Grassland tortoise Food or Forest Tortoise food? I assume you use the Forest Tortoise pellets, they are best for redfoots. In any case both of them are complete diets, and contain D3. Here is the link to list of ingredients: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...D=2&SearchID=1
Your little tortoise shell will be hard in no time, and Arcadia is a very good UVB lamp, you cant do any better.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote