Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #21
kreacher
Sub Adult

The RSPCA will help to a certain extent even if they inform the local council but it has to be deemed as cruelty before the animals can actually be taken away from the shop. It has happened though and I myself have been instructed to remove all reptiles from a shop on a few occasions. The councils do have very good inspectors so they are usually a good start and if it is bad enough the RSPCA will be informed...
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
If enough people cared, people would refuse to buy the tiny cages, and pet shops would be forced to make changes to bigger and better accommodation! Sadly this won't happen will it.... So my point is if lots of people are happy for their pets to live their miserable lives in tiny homes then not much will get done about the temporary accomodation of the tortoises you are talking about .... I totally agree it is wrong though.......
I think people are told by the pet shop that the cages they are selling are fine for the new pet, I have read lots of things such as this with people who have bought tortoises only to discover that it really isn't that suitable. I think it would be impractical to expect a pet shop to provide some of the things we as responsible/well informed owners would, especially with regard to cage sizes, it is after all only a temporary setting for that animal, but they should be expected to provide the animals with a level of care that does not affect their well being. We should all be doing our bit to try and improve things, plugging away at pet shops can only be a good thing.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #23
mrscross78
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I think people are told by the pet shop that the cages they are selling are fine for the new pet, I have read lots of things such as this with people who have bought tortoises only to discover that it really isn't that suitable. I think it would be impractical to expect a pet shop to provide some of the things we as responsible/well informed owners would, especially with regard to cage sizes, it is after all only a temporary setting for that animal, but they should be expected to provide the animals with a level of care that does not affect their well being. We should all be doing our bit to try and improve things, plugging away at pet shops can only be a good thing.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that it's wrong for pet shops to treat the animals this way... I just don't think there is alot that will get done in pet shops short of what I wrote in my last post.. It doesn't mean I think it's ok.... Far from it!
As for pet shops offering bad advice to customers, it's surely obvious to anyone that the size of the cages they sell are cruel.. I honestly think the people who buy these cages simply don't care for their pets welfare especially when there is often a bigger cage also for sale along side the many tiny ones. If people use lack of space or lack of money as an excuse then they shouldn't be buying the pet at all.... You wouldn't buy a horse if you didn't have a suitable field ready for it.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia

Last edited by mrscross78; 08-08-2011 at 08:42 PM.
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #24
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
If people use lack of space or lack of money as an excuse then they shouldn't be buying the pet at all.... You wouldn't buy a horse if you didn't have a field ready for it.
An excellent example, and I totally agree.

I also think that sometimes people buy too small a cage for their pet because the one they choose to buy looks alot bigger than the one the animal is being displayed in.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
kreacher
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
An excellent example, and I totally agree.

I also think that sometimes people buy too small a cage for their pet because the one they choose to buy looks alot bigger than the one the animal is being displayed in.
this is so true...we picked up a boa today from an rspca centre that had ben bought from a pet shop. it was kept in a 2ft tank in the shop the the person thought it would be ok to be in a 3ft at home...the boa is now coming up on 7ft and is quickly outgrowing that tank!
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
Pussygalore
Adult

I think the only way things would ever really change would be if NO livestock was sold in any shop, the shops would make their money by selling deadstock ie housing, food etc but only having a notice board of breeders and contact numbers of private sellers. Many people that buy from shops didn't go in there to buy but are tempted by something they see as cute, they know nothing about the animal so only have the shops advise to listen to and while shops can make money in this way they will continue to do so.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I think the only way things would ever really change would be if NO livestock was sold in any shop, the shops would make their money by selling deadstock ie housing, food etc but only having a notice board of breeders and contact numbers of private sellers. Many people that buy from shops didn't go in there to buy but are tempted by something they see as cute, they know nothing about the animal so only have the shops advise to listen to and while shops can make money in this way they will continue to do so.
That's right. I've seen people in tropical fish shops lie about their set up just to get a fish they want. The owner of the shop I used would explain everything that was required for the fish and a customer would say yes, yes, I have a 200 gallon tank
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #28
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
That's right. I've seen people in tropical fish shops lie about their set up just to get a fish they want. The owner of the shop I used would explain everything that was required for the fish and a customer would say yes, yes, I have a 200 gallon tank
Totall agree with you here, I am always asked but it had occured to me that I could lie if needed.

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #29
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
yes, yes, I have a 200 gallon tank
Doesn't everyone?

on the flipside to this petshop talk, the "Pets-at-home" in Reading has just had a refit, and the Vivs/tanks/cages for all of their animals are superb, lots of hidey-holes, lots of space, very clean, very well looked after - so much so that I was compelled to compliment the staff on a very good job - I can't image they get many compliments
    {_}-{_}                    {_}-{_}
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
clintpaul
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eremiel View Post
Old Town are great guys they even run Torty workshops to help owners know their pets its the one in Cheney Manor.
I was in this place yesterday and was disgusted to see that they had 6 Horsefields and 2 fairly big Leopards in the same tiny Vivarium and it is always like that i remember last year they had 10 spurs in that tiny viv.

ps That was the Cheney one i was also in old town yesterday and they were good.
clintpaul is offline   Reply With Quote