Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 08-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
kazzabb
Hatched

Default Sunbeds for torts

I've sequestered the big shed at the bottom of the garden and will be insulating it so that next winter the large females who aren't hibernating can go in there. Just preparing a list of what I need for wiring for heating and lighting. A daft question, are the uvb strip lights on our home sunbed the same type of uvb lights that torts need?
Karen
Old 09-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
Hanako
Hatchling

But when humans go on sunbed, they have something to protect their eyes. How would you protect your tortoise's eyes?
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
kazzabb
Hatched

Default sunbeds for tort

Hello Hanako, thanks for your reply. I wasn't intending to put the torts under a canopy sunbed, but the thought of the torts wearing goggles did make me laugh. Apologies, I didn't explain properly - I was considering using two or three of the tubes from our sunbed in the torts' large shed. We don't use our sunbed for uvb, but they came with the tubes already installed. My husband has got psoriasis and uses the sunbed with red light therapy tubes fitted. So I've got 10 uvb sunbed tubes packed up in the loft, and thought that if they were the same type of uvb tubes which would be suitable for tortoises, then I could buy some second-hand strip-light units and use these uvb tubes in the shed.
Karen
Old 10-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi,

Tanning lamps are not suited to reptile use. They have a high quantity of UVA and a terrible coloration/poor CRI

The theory of the product design is similar but the phosphor mix is vastly different.

As they do not have light at the correct peak for reptile D3 production there is simply no point.

Hope this helps

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
kazzabb
Hatched

Hi John, thanks for the reply, I pretty much thought that the tanning lamps wouldn't be right otherwise someone else would have come up with it. At the moment we have a big building project on which I am managing, and that, along with my normal compliance work and trying to arrange a funeral, means that my days and evenings are a little too stretched to do the proper research work needed on this subject. At least I've got 'till the late summer to do some intelligent fact-finding and do the shed fit-out properly. Thanks once again.
Kind regards, Karen
Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi there Karen

if you've got a substantial area in the shed to cover with UVB it might be that the Arcadia d3desert+ tubes are the best way to do it. You can get the tubes up to 48" long, they seem to last a very long time and I've never seen reports of them failing to work properly. Using the tube with the standard fittings there is an outlay up front because you also need a ballast for each pair of tubes but the running costs are quite low. I reckon for med species when we are providing good UV for them there isn't a cheaper way to do so over larger areas.

The tubes can also be used in the Arcadia canopy which means less trailing wires but I haven't used one of those. There are also the Arcadia UVB Flood lamps which I have found good for smaller areas with smaller tortoises.
Old 13-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

If anyone has HUGE enclosures that need lighting please don't forget that we now have the SuperZooT5.

This is a zoological fitting and yup have to apply to buy one, this is solely because it is the most powerful fitting in the world and as such if missused may present a health and safety risk.

If anyone would like more details please use the contact button on the link below and we will assess your needs and requirement

This has been developed by us and some of the worlds most respected zoos. It has then been fully tested and verified by UVguide as part of a RAWG initiative.

www.arcadia-reptile.com/superzoo-t5/

John

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 14-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #8
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Oops I forgot about this new lamp which Arcadia have produced. It looks great for those of us with really big spaces to light up. And zoos!
Old 14-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Yeah it needs to be big this fitting lights an area 8-10 feet wide when fitted at 8-10 from the floor and still with usuable UV. In fact upper basking is an amazing 4 feet from the fitting to the animals back/shell.....

We in the strongest version.

We will be launching a smaller version in April by the sounds of it...

John

www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Old 16-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

I might be wrong but if you are looking for general good light for a shed then couldn't you use a normal strip light and a couple of combined bulbs for uv and heat. I'm talking the normal strips for offices/houses, I had two combined suspended in my shed and tubular heating on a thermostat as back up heating and that worked well however the shed could have done with extra light on dull days. Mind you I never used it in the winter months as mine were hibernated, as has been said though insulation is the most important thing including doors, floor and any windows also if theres going to be an exit for the torts make it as small as poss with heavy duty plastic hanging to keep out the drafts. My exits had ramps which lifted to close the exits at night.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote