Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 10-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
spudnik
Egg

Default Is my set up right?

We are new to keeping tortoises and I think ive got right set up temps etc i just want to run it by the more experienced so I can change it if ive got it wrong, they are kept in a open topped wooden box which is 8" high and large, in it they have a big piece of grass to graze on (we cut it out of the garden and dug it into their enclosure) they have a soil/sand mix on the floor, plus an array of rockery and a patch of just grass which they seem to like sitting on, and theres a plant for them to hide under and eat, we are growing grass/weeds for them in pots to plant into their enclosure so when the weather is awful and rainy and they cant go out they can still graze..until the pots are ready we have been giving them plantain, dandelion and clover from the garden.

both the loepards are fine, healthy eating well and pooping,

the temps in the box are: 100f - 110f under the heat lamp, they never sit directly under it.

and at the cooler end it goes between 70f - 80f

at night the temp generally stays between 72-74f, sometimes drops a little lower, but never goes below 65f

they have a normal desk lamp to provide extra light during the day, the lamps are all kept on for 14-16 hours a day and turned off at night.

they have a repti-glo 5.0 uvb tube, i plan on ordering a bigger tube with higher output in a few mins as ive just made a bigger box for them, and read they need high uvb (woman in a shop we got it from said that would be fine), would you say a 36" 10.0 tube is ok? the box is 37" in length, is it possible for them to get too much uvb?

they do have an outside enclosure but its been too wet to put them out, hopefully when the weather becomes fine they can go out.

any advice is appreciated, thanks.
spudnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
spudnik
Egg

also forgot to mention we have a big water dish in their enclosure too, so they have access to water at all times
spudnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
EJ
Adult

I would suggest getting the night time temperatures a little higher with a minimum of 70 to 75 or better. Also, the size of the enclosure can be a little bigger. Otherwise I'd say the setup was perfect.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

could you post a piccy?
aramintalovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
I would suggest getting the night time temperatures a little higher with a minimum of 70 to 75 or better. Also, the size of the enclosure can be a little bigger. Otherwise I'd say the setup was perfect.
I wold say overall these temps are rather high. The reason the torts are not using the basking light is most likely becasue the basking spot is too hot
Old 10-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

I'm putting together a post on growth rates in leopards but I'd like to get all the photos together. You will see some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramintalovegrove
could you post a piccy?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
nina
Adult

Sounds like you have a nice set-up! I use the Reptisun 10 with a reflector (it saves your eyes and also increases the UVB reaching the tortoise by up to 30%), but others will tell you that the mercury vapour combined UVB and heat lights are better - they give off more UVB and last up to two years (as opposed to the Reptisun 10, which will last for one year, and the 5.0 which will last for six months). I just like the flexibility of having my heat and UVB source separate, but I think that the mercury vapour lamps are actually better.