Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Blaze
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Blaze
Default New outside house.

I think he has everything he needs. He has 3 hide away spots (plant pot, Log, and his house he did have in side) A log for climbing over, some water, pebbles, cuttle fish, paved and grass area.. Let me know if i've missed anything.

Oh And his hot spot ( kinda like a little green house ) Is a seed tray cover which I lifted up with big beach stones for ventilation. Is that okay? Do you think it looks good enough to leave him out over night now? Or should i still be bringing him in?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

I think thats nice, the only thing that would concern me is that he has nowhere to bury himself, mine go in to there house/kennels and have burying material in there they always cover themselves up at night and if it gets really warm the temps at night can stay hot and again the burying keeps them cool as well as warm, they have all been out 24/7 for sometime but like I said are shut in at night and can bury themselves, they have no heat etc.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

sorry its me again couldn,t you put some soil under the seed cover you don,t have to dig up the ground it only needs to be a bit deeper than the tort, I turn mine over weekly and they love digging in it.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Blaze
Hatched

Thats an ace idea. I've got some seed trays, Stompies only tiny, so i'll cut off and and smooth out the front of it so he can climb in and out
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

it would still have to have some kind of cover in case it rains if you put the plastic cover on top of a tray with an entrance like you described he have a lovely house that got nice and warm but that he could bury in if it was to hot and also would keep the soil warm for the night.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Blaze
Hatched

I think someone told me to buy a big purspex sheet to go over the entire enclouser, would that do the job? And thanks so much for all your help and advice I really apperciate it
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

if you made up the plastic house the base and top with an entrance it would be like a small coldframe or propergater which I,m assuming it was in the 1st place I,d have thought that would be enough with some soil inside, a cover over the whole enclosure wouldn,t be needed and would probably make it to hot, if it rains and he has a little waterproof house he won,t come out like mine I,ve never covered the outside area although I suppose you could just cover one end, I have to open the coldframes like you would his house on really hot days because it gets condensation which in turn can make the soil damp and mouldy, but all you,d have to do would be to either move the roof say backwards a bit or raise the roof slightely or even remove it if its really hot, because I have both wooden houses and coldframes they have a choice and on hot days go inside the wooden structures which are dark and cool, the frames do work well though and they will bury themselves if its to hot, surprising mine don,t spend much time in the direct sun they usually hide up somewhere in the shade, I thought they,d love the sun but I suppose it gets to much for them the same as us.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Mine was doing the same 3 hours max in the hot sun and the heading inside there hut, they do need shade
Paul
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
nina
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze
I think someone told me to buy a big purspex sheet to go over the entire enclouser, would that do the job? And thanks so much for all your help and advice I really apperciate it
Hi Zoe,

If you cover the whole thing with perspex then the UVB from the sun won't be able to get through, so best to leave it open and just make a place inside the enclosure that he can go in to shelter from the rain.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Pussygalore
Adult

also if you cover the whole thing then it would act the same way as a vivarium and there wouldn,t be a lot of point in him being outside