Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Gaelle
Incubating

I don't know many animals that enjoy being picked up. Dosg maybe, cats to a certain extent? But most herbivores will be nervous about it. Just look at pet rabbits. No matter how tame they are and how much they trust you, I'm yet to find a bunny that enjoys being picked up and carried around. They don't, even when handled from an early age. They may "tolerate" it but you will always feel a certain tension and quivering hind legs. It must be the same with tortoises. Picking them up and carrying them is bound to be an immediately stressful situation for any prey animal. Even tames animals such as rabbits and Guinea pigs, which have been pets for hundreds of years have still not gone over the instinct : something's picking me up, something's caught me!
Nevertheless, "handling" at the animal's level is, to me, nothing to be frowned upon. You don't force yourself on it, if the animal is scared or not interested, it can always move away. And it may find you interesting in any way and a trust-bond can be created.
I think it's all about respecting the animal's nature and letting it decide whether it wants contact or not. I do this with all my pets and the animals I work with (birds) and it always pays. Some will come to me, some will just "not mind me" and that's already an achievement.
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Steph37
Hatched

Yeah, thanks for responses. I just wanted some re-assurance that I am caring enough to be doing it 'properly' ie NOT handling them unless I have to. My captoe bred hermanns who have have good husbnadry from hatchlings do not retreat when picked up and do link me to sounds-ie I give them pellets (the fibre/grass mix ones) when I get in from work-they hear me and then when I put the glass container down they come towrds it (ie 'it' not me!) but they do know that we provide I think-however as someone (cant remember who-sorry) said if they know we provide for them do they need affection-no I thinki is the answer because reptiles dont crave love they crave the right conditions and food. My rescued male 'Vived' Horsfields flinch and wee when I pick them up (always under plastron only) to bath or treat them, although I have to say that the one I've had for 18 months is now dramatically better-again because he knows I am coming towards him with food and not to try to pick him up for a cuddle or to be mauled by the family dog which is how he came to me. two of the wild caught juveniles wee when picked up to bath but these 2 show generally higher stress levels-I hope that this will improve (I only picked them up 3 months ago) not so that I can give them a goodnight kiss (!!!) but for their own benefit. I'm thanksful to you for your thoughts and will continue as before with minumum handling-the joy is seeing them return to their 'wild' behaviour as they should be allowed, whilst knowing that their food comes from a trustworthy 'voice'. Thanks, steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
Steph37
Hatched

Hi Gaelle,
My cats ask to be picked up, played with, fed etc all with different vocalisations, but they need the love like most? mammals. I just got a bee in my bonnet about tortoises kept as if they are affectionate 'pets'! Maybe that's just me, but I love making things natural for them-thats completely different to how I feel about my cats-losing them would be like losing a family member. I fiercely protect my tortoises but in a completely different way from pet keeping, as it were. BTW we used to keep rabbits-I think some were affectionate-others turned and sprayed on us as we approached! At least tortoisess dont quite go that far! Steph
Old 18-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

sorry, but i have kept tortoise for years, yes they can be affectionate, yes i handle them, how else would i check them over, i dont want a tortoise that is scared of being handled, it would make a vets job much more difficult for a start

my older torts seek me out, it is not always about food sometimes they just want attention
some are more loving than others, no 2 act the same, they all have different strong personalities

i think its a shame you wont interact with yours, after all if you look after them well they are going to outlive your cats by years and years
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #15
ibizathetort
Adult

When my youngest tortoise is bored and hears my voice she walks around her table looking for me. If I put my hand in open palmed she will walk over to it and actually sit on my hand. I will take a video of it happening next time. I think she has associated this with being put outside for a run around the garden or living room
ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
billytorty
Incubating

My tort does that to my girlfreind its quite emotional however if i do it he head buts me, lol

http://www.facebook.com/people/Billy-Torty/1767388020
billytorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I always make them aware of me being there before I pick them up. If they are sleeping like when they are outside and I'm maybe bringing them in overnight then I can't really do that then but they get put in the washing up bowl (not with plates and fairy liquid in though)
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
aerofine
Incubating

I have to say that I handle mine nearly daily. They are picked up to take to the bath and to be taken outside and brought back in. Also I handle them to check them over, to check their shells, underside, feet, tail etc etc. I have done this from the day I got them when they were 12 months old (I have had them for 16 months) and they do not care one bit at being picked up. They do not struggle, or put their heads in , or flail around so by that they must be more used to being handled. I think with many animals if they can be used to being handled it is better for the animal in case of any emergencies in the future.
Old 19-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #19
Gaelle
Incubating

Don't misunderstand me!!! I'm not saying NOT to handle your animals! All I'm saying is, I believe you nee to respect that particular animal's nature and natural instincts and most prey animals will inevitably feel a degree of stress when something picks them up and carries them around.
YESn rabbits can be very tame and look for your company, I have a house rabbit that is daft as a dog, BUT still, I can feel he's not comfortable when I have to pick him up for any reason, so I avoid it as much as I can. And of course, they all have to be handled to make sure there isn't any problems, still, I wouldn't handle a prey animal too much, interaction can happen at the animals level and in their own term.
Just wanted to clarify things again!
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
Steph37
Hatched

I love your photos-I'm guessing they are all yours? Steph
P.S I agree-they have to be handled, pretty much daily, cos they are having to live in 'fake' conditions, but the british bred ones are more comfortable than the wild caught-but then, who can blame them, poor things,they should be plodding round Afghanistan not stuck here in this climate! They've done well to settle as thay have. Your tortoise is a Hermanns?