Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 17-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
aerofine
Incubating

Default Anyone else having problems with Horsfields?

Just wanted to know if anyone else was having trouble keeping their Horsfield's awake and eating this last week or so? My 2 have been outside since May, with the odd time coming in. But this last week or 2 I have been bringing them in at night now. Today, it is very overcast and colder than it was at the weekend when it was glorious, so I have elft them inside today. However, they are both not interested in doing anything mcuh apart from burying themselves down. Only eating very small amounts, and that is if I physically hold the food and show them it. I think the hibernation wind down has started!!
Old 17-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

My 3 little ones seem fine. They are eating plenty but just aren't as active. They get up, have a bath and then eat. They're probably up for like 2 hours and then dig down to sleep. Perhaps you should let stay inside as I doubt the weathers going to get better. Maybe just try to keep the temperatures up and see if that gets them going.
It all really depends though on when you want them to wind down for hibernation.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
mandyxx
Egg

sorry to hear your having problems. are you wanting to hibernate this year because if you did i think them slowing down would be a good thing. i have two horsfields that im not hibernating this year because i havent had them long so going to wait to next year and they are eating as normal indoors. i think if they could they would eat all day
mandyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
aerofine
Incubating

Thanks for the replies

Yes my torts will be hiberanted again this year like last year - they were wound down during November then out in the fridge on the 1st December until the 1st March. They both lost 1g each. Since waking up they have both out on about 25g each, now weighing 58 and 61g. The temps are correct - 32C in the hot end and 18-20 in the cool end. I don't think there is much else I can do now to try to keep them up and eating!
Old 17-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Steph37
Hatched

Mine are slowing down-I really want to keep them up til November, but they're still outside as its never been cold and wet at same time here. The adults rehomed from last year are ok the juveniles are at a bit of a loss-willl move their pen at weekend so they are in a sunnier spot-currently they are in between sunny spots but by next week I can move them and hope they will eat more again. They are eating but just less. ?They are starting to lose now, but I expect that from now on-as long as they are heavier when they go down than they were when they got up, its ok. my little ones havent had to hibernate before i dont think-or would they do this in Afghanistan? (sorry stupid question i think-know they aesteviate) Steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #6
Lolly8
Adult

Mine has odd days when he doesn't come out from bed but when out then eats and basks as usually.He eats less than on summer months and goes bed bit earlier now.
Old 19-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
eliza
Hatched

Hi im also having trouble keeping my 5yr old male awake tried everything the only time he stay up is if i have our heating on full thn he is quite happy to stay awake and trash his house only problem is its like a oven! Over thelast few days ive increased his baths to every day and that seems to be helping alittle.
eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
Rowan
Sub Adult

Hi,

Yup I'm having the same probs with just 1 of mine. They're both indoors now and 1 is fine the other very very sleepy. I just keeping putting him under the light every time I see that he gone back to bed, not sure if this is correct? I'm wanting to hibernate this year( 1st time ahhhhhhhh!) but like you not untill November.
Good luck.

Row x
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Scouse
Egg

Thank god other people are saying the same!! I posted here a few weeks ago cause my 4yo keeps digging herself in. This is the first winter we've had her so don't really want to hibernate her, but she was a wild so I don't really want to break her cycle. Even still, I thought September was a little early for her to be settling down. I have to drag her out each morning and she hangs around for 10-15 mins before going back to bed. Sh'e spend all day there scratching from time to time. We had a lot of sun yesterday and she was pretty active outside, then as soon as she got back into the table, off to bed she went! We've been bathing her more often but she goes right back to bed when in her table.. Is it too early to let her hibernate or would I be best off holding out another month or so?
~CURE 3:48~
-------------
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Steph37
Hatched

Having said mine are not eating I guess they must be but just in shorter hours when I'm at work as to my great surprise they have all gained weight which I have never known before-they usually start to lose from the beginning of September. When they are eating anything you know you have at least 6 weeks to go before they go down so looks like I might make Niovember hibernation keeping them outside in the day (still not bringing them in at night but they do have extra sand/soil mix/shredded paper depending on which breeds). At least with the greedy Horsfields they need to lose a bit of weight in the winter! Even my re-homed/imported hatchlings are still outside and still gaining, albeit by 2 gm a week which I think is ok (they were 60-69gm when I got them end July and are now all in the 80's-90's) so really pleased with them. Will probably just give them 4 weeks though
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote