Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 14-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Linzi
Egg

Default Ok for a new tort home?

I guess this is the noob thing to do, but for all my reading, I'm no expert. So...

I am intending to get one, possibly two tortoises. Most likely horsefields. Hatchlings I think, up to around a year in age? (at what age do they stop being hatchlings? lol)

The plan is to get a nero 4 indoor rabbit cage, (64.5 x 118cm) kit it out with topsoil/sand, one or two hides, a slate in/near the basking area, an area to climb and have a dig, a shallow water bowl, and a feeding area. I'll hang one of the heat/uvb bulbs at one end, with the hides toward the other. Feeds will consist of mainly homegrown weeds and supplemented with shop bought greenery from the safe list. (which I will no doubt know pretty well soon lol) The food will be dusted with supplements, (nutribal I believe it's called? obviously I'd make doubley sure first lol) and a cuttlefish to the side.

Initially there would be no outdoor area, but I'm hoping to get an area sorted in the garden so they can get out when the weather permits.

We plan on moving house in the next 2-3 years, and an outdoor enclosure would be set up properly. Around about the same time I intend to build my own indoor table, since I figure he/she/they would have outgrown the nero cage by then. I already have many ideas on this one. lol

Does this sound ok for torts? I don't want to make any major mistakes that could end up making them sick.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Hello, there is a thread here which refers to rabbit cages http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=25994 and I think there are quite a few who use them.

Bear in mind that Horsfields like to dig and need a deeper substrate than Hermanns.

Also, they would need to go outside in summer whether they are Horsfields or Hermanns
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
welshlass22
Adult

Sounds ok to me, my horsefield is in a rabbit cage with just soil though.

If i were you i would just use soil and leave the sand out because my horsefield and most horsefield's eyes becoming irratated by the sand and swell up because theyre digging and the bits of the sand gets in their eyes.

as for an outdoor enclosure.......you could just find another rabbit cage cheap or for free somewhere and have that as a tempory outdoor enclosure for the time being....Or get a child's sand pit a wooden one or a plastic one and just cover it with a wooden frame made with wire mesh over the top or fish pond netting thats what i did before i built my proper brick enclosure

Last edited by welshlass22; 15-04-2009 at 09:28 AM.
welshlass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

While they are small a largish rabbit cage is fine. I also dont use sand just garden soil. As thats what they go on when they are outside in their enclosures. I use a rabbit cage for any hatchlings I might have.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
MrD
Hatched

Sounds like you've been reading up a lot!! Well done!!

I posted a pic of my set-up and got loads of suggestions of things to add and change etc.

http://shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=24328

Keep looking at others to get ideas, that's what I am doing as I am thinking about outdoor set-up now!!
MrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Linzi
Egg

I've read a few people saying that a sand/soil mix has irritated their torts eyes, so I think plain topsoil it shall be. And I'm thinking of putting in some kind of barrier in the corner to block the sides further up by the bars so I could add in a deeper digging area for them.

I could move the cage outside to the back garden on nicer days easily enough, with me nearby of course. But a proper outdoor enclosure would take a while to sort out as next door have 2 large dogs (it's a low fence) and several cats which are experts at catching various birds, mice and rabbits. So it'd need to be very secure.

Thanks for the tips and links. Will keep looking and reading as I start to collect bits and pieces for the new set-up.
Old 16-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
aerofine
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzi View Post
I've read a few people saying that a sand/soil mix has irritated their torts eyes, so I think plain topsoil it shall be. And I'm thinking of putting in some kind of barrier in the corner to block the sides further up by the bars so I could add in a deeper digging area for them.

I could move the cage outside to the back garden on nicer days easily enough, with me nearby of course. But a proper outdoor enclosure would take a while to sort out as next door have 2 large dogs (it's a low fence) and several cats which are experts at catching various birds, mice and rabbits. So it'd need to be very secure.

Thanks for the tips and links. Will keep looking and reading as I start to collect bits and pieces for the new set-up.
It is really essential that your tort gets to be outside during spring/summer. You can leave your torts out 24/7 when it is nice. If you are worried about next doors cats and dogs I would suggest you sort the fence out first before you get your tort, so that you can build a tort outside pen that has a chicken wire lid. If you would like to see some pics of my setup please PM me.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Linzi
Egg

Thanks. I have been browsing the outdoor enclosures post and I'm trying to organise an outdoor pen.