Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 21-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
gatoruss
Egg

Default Warm weather...time to go outside?

How much uvb is enough for a redfoot?

The weather here in Central Florida had warmed up considerably (we had been having an unseasonable cold spell). Midday temps are around 85F. My redfoot is a little over 6 weeks old. I am thinking that it might be a good idea to leave him outside during the day (morning temps starting at 64 F and climbing to 85 F), and bring him in during the evenings (night time temps are dipping down to 57-60 F). I would move his entire enclosure out in the morning and in at night.

I am setting up his enclosure outside on my screened in porch. He has morning access to direct sun for about 3-4 hours (with access to a hide spot and shade), then starting around noon his enclosure is in the shade of a tree for 5 or 6 hours. Then I bring him in for the night .

Any reason I shouldn't do this? Seem like I should take advantage of the warm weather and the natural uvb. But wanted some thoughts on weather this is enough uvb? When I have my baby tort in inside, I had been using a T-Tex uvb/Heat lamp for about 12-14 hours.

BTW - When outside, the enclosure is predator-proof.

Keeping

Tortoise:
0.0.1 Refoot Tortoise (Geochelone carbonaria) Charlie

Free loaders:
2.0.0 Labrador Retrievers (canis familiaris) Thunder & Lightning
0.1.0 Feline (felis catus) Hampton
gatoruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Hi so long as there are plenty of plants for shade, as you know Redfoots love to hide in the shade under plants. Make sure there is access to a nice big water dish as well. I'm sure they will love being outside in the warm weather, instead of inside.
I know I would!
Old 21-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
linda
Adult

sounds ideal russ
linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
gatoruss
Egg

Do you think that this will provide the tort with enough uvb? It was not my intention to put him under the light when I brought him inside for the evening.

Keeping

Tortoise:

Free loaders:
Old 22-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
linda
Adult

i should imagine so

ill pm dazza to have a look at this post

he has a uv reader so perhaps he could take readings outdoors in the shade etc and see what natural uv he records
Old 22-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
Dazza
Adult

I can indeed take some UV readings in and around the shade which will be fine for us in the UK, but for Russ in the USA they would only be a guide as UV levels will be different in the USA!

The other consideration is the light levels needed to stimulate our tortoises, measured on a LUX meter i have one on order

And we all thought reptile husbandry was easy For us torotise keepers, lighting is about obtaining the correct, temperature, UV Levels and suffient light levels-K to stimulate the tortoises - just goes to show that lighting is a process rather than a bulb

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
linda
Adult

i forgot russ was in the uk

however it would be a useful guide for russ

and dazza i know lots of us uk people would definatly benefit from having a selection of uv and light readings
Old 22-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
gatoruss
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
I can indeed take some UV readings in and around the shade which will be fine for us in the UK, but for Russ in the USA they would only be a guide as UV levels will be different in the USA!

The other consideration is the light levels needed to stimulate our tortoises, measured on a LUX meter i have one on order

And we all thought reptile husbandry was easy For us torotise keepers, lighting is about obtaining the correct, temperature, UV Levels and suffient light levels (LUX) to stimulate the tortoises - just goes to show that lighting is a process rather than a bulb

Dazza
What uvb and lux levels am I shooting for (not that I have meters but I am going to see if I can find someone nearby who might).

I imagine that there is also a time factor involved...as in minimum uvb (and lux) for a specific period of time? What parameters are desirable? What are mimimum?

What I am trying to determine is if I can eliminate need for indoor light if I put tort outside in set up described above?

Thanks!

Keeping

Tortoise:

Free loaders:
Old 22-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
pawsplus
Hatched

There is plenty of UVB in Florida, Russ. Remember that redfoots are forest torts -- not dense forest, but the edges. There is also plenty of UVB even in dappled shade. Make sure the enclosure is large enough for him to thermoregulate - an area in direct sun, a large area in dappled shade (plants, etc.) and several hiding areas. A tort that young will hide a LOT -- most of the time, in fact. 6 weeks is VERY young -- Beasley was 6 mos when she came home to me and she was tiny!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
gatoruss
Egg

Saw this on the internet...I interesting discussion of uvb levels and the environmental and geographical factors that affect uvb levels.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/uvinnature.htm

Keeping

Tortoise:

Free loaders: