Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 14-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Hanako
Hatchling

Default Mating question - a bit explicit - sorry!

Warning - it is a bit gross and it has sexual content. Don't read if you are easily offended or if you are eating right now!

This is meant to be a serious inquiry. I am not having any pleasure asking embarrassing questions, but who else to ask?

I watched my male mating my female. (the reason for watching was because he is quite young and I have had plenty of infertile eggs, so I wondered whether maybe he doesn't have the technique quite right yet. He is often mating from any side, but this time he seemed to be doing it right.)

He was ramming into her from behind, mouth open, making the noises. Up to here it looked like any normal tortoise mating. After it appeared that they finished, (I swear I saw an orgasm!), she suddenly freaked out (not sure why, there was no other tortoises around to interfere or anything). So she started moving quite quickly away, completely panicked, but he was still attached and she dragged him around in quite a rough manner. At first I didn't have a clue what was going on, but when I realised that he was still attached, I held her down for a while while she was thrashing around and he probably felt every her move! After a while he detached.

My question is, is it how it normally ends? It freaked me out a little bit because he could have gotten injured quite easily. Is there anything how the male can be protected? Or was it just an accident that she freaked out for no obvious reason? She is quite young too, they are both pretty inexperienced.

And another question, he was afterwards so filthy on his private parts that I gave him a bath again. In the nature no one would obviously give him a bath. Does it matter if his penis is completely covered in soil and he puts it away? Just worried that he may get some infection or something. (probably stupid question, but one wonders).

On the positive note, now I know for sure that at least one of my males figured out how things work!

Last edited by Hanako; 15-02-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Males do tend to get dragged around a bit so that's normal. The female "freaking out" isn't exactly normal, but understandable for a first time being mated female. Soil usually isn't a problem getting stuck to the penis. Most things that go in will be pooped out later.

Danny
Old 15-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Gordon
Adult

All perfectly normal, normally you will see the female move her head from side to side when the male is in there doing his thing.
As for him being dragged around that's pretty normal too mine do it all the time it looks very funny but I'm sure it must take a lot of concentration to stay on.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Hanako
Hatchling

Thank you guys.

It looked really nasty and dangerous when he was dragged. It seriously freaked me out. At first he was trying to hop after her, but she was not just walking away, she was really panicky running, making all sorts of wild turns...somewhere in the process he was turned around, so although he was still attached to her and his belly was on her back part of her shell, his legs were up in the air, his head was down and with every step his head was banging on the ground (luckily it should be reasonably soft because it is soil, but I imagine that it was not pleasant at all). And luckily I did react quite quickly when I realised that he is still attached.

It might have been just a freaky accident, they are both quite young and quite new to it. But it made me worried, what would happen if I wasn't around and didn't hold her down until she released him. If this is what is happening in the nature, I am surprised there are no males whose penis has been torn off.

Saying that, my poor male doesn't seem to think that there is some permanent damage. He was getting acquainted with another female this morning, so maybe he took yesterday's experience as an occupational hazard.

Last edited by Hanako; 15-02-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 15-02-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
Catwoman63
Adult

I think that would panick me too, when my spart was trying to mate Xena, he bit her leg so viciously that he tore one of her claws off, fortunately its growing back, and because of that I won't be breeding my horsfields.......hopefully the golden Greeks will breed in the future, if my little ones stay as females x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
Hanako
Hatchling

The only one thing I can do to prevent that would be having my males separately and let them 'visit' the females just once a day for one hour of supervised session (while I am watching). Isn't that like taking males to the bordello?
Old 15-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
Isn't that like taking males to the bordello?
Of course

Danny
Old 15-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

I think its normal I have seen one of my Margies take off whilst mating & drag the male (still attached) round & round their enclosure on his back! It hasn't put him off at all!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Hanako
Hatchling

Ok, thank you. Maybe it is normal and I overreacted. But it looked really like rough handling. Maybe it is payback for the biting which is the part of the foreplay? Thinking "You bit me a few times, so I will bang your head on the ground", or "You hurt me and I will tear your manhood off". Well, she definitely repaid it.
Old 15-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
suttysue
Sub Adult

Having now read this post I have realised my boy is not Actualy entering his Mrs.
He chases both my females does the head bobbing and the biting, mounts up with his little head bobbing, mouth open and squeaking, however I have never seen his equipment out! Does this mean he's not mature enough ?
Thanks
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote