Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 17-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Taszia
Hatchling

Default Komodo pellets? Help ?

Hello . I have a sample of pellets and was wondering what to do with them ? I have soaked them in warm water and given them to my tort and she sniffs and stomps off with no interest what so ever . Am I doing it wrong or does she just not like them ?

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
kreacher
Sub Adult

My hermans used to be like that but my redfoot loves them! I think it's just a personal preference, try mixing them in with some chopped up weeds, she may eat them then
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

I put 6-7 pellets in boiled water, let them sit for minute, drain and add cold water ,drain then mash them up a bit.......Quinn seems to love them!!!

I've only tried him on the Dandelion ones but going to get a few other types for variety. How often do folk who use the pellets use them?? im currently doing every second or third night but lettuce and weeds (if he will try them) every night for him to chomp on.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Taszia
Hatchling

She just will not eat them lol. Oh well stick to the weeds it is then

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Old 17-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Herpard
Adult

If my Female hermanns wont touch them neither will the others lol.

I add some boiling water, wait for the pellets to soak as much as they can, drain away the rest of the water then sprinkle calcium powder or nutrobal over the top.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
kkenny
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
She just will not eat them lol. Oh well stick to the weeds it is then
no bad thing at all

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Taszia
Hatchling

Oh no I know she's happy on her fresh weed diet just wanted to try mix it up a bit but she's having none of it ! Haha x

Old 17-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Quinn View Post
I put 6-7 pellets in boiled water, let them sit for minute, drain and add cold water ,drain then mash them up a bit.......Quinn seems to love them!!!

I've only tried him on the Dandelion ones but going to get a few other types for variety. How often do folk who use the pellets use them?? im currently doing every second or third night but lettuce and weeds (if he will try them) every night for him to chomp on.
Hi first the pellet, i would have thought draining excess water and refilling and draining again would only impair some of the vit's/nutrition in the product.
To soak until soft should be enough, feeding a pellet with other fresh food's twice weekly at about 2% of Tortoise weight should be ok.
I personally would not bother trying other varieties in the Komodo range, i would keep to the one you know the Tort accept's, as it seem's a bit gimmicky on Komodo's part to add the three flavours.
Old 17-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
Hello . I have a sample of pellets and was wondering what to do with them ? I have soaked them in warm water and given them to my tort and she sniffs and stomps off with no interest what so ever . Am I doing it wrong or does she just not like them ?
Some Tortoises take time in accepting other food's, a couple of pellets offered daily with no other food's for a few day's sometimes sway's them into eating both diet's.
Old 17-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Mighty_Quinn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
Hi first the pellet, i would have thought draining excess water and refilling and draining again would only impair some of the vit's/nutrition in the product.
To soak until soft should be enough, feeding a pellet with other fresh food's twice weekly at about 2% of Tortoise weight should be ok.
I personally would not bother trying other varieties in the Komodo range, i would keep to the one you know the Tort accept's, as it seem's a bit gimmicky on Komodo's part to add the three flavours.
True, never thought about the change to vits/nutrients that draining the water off etc could have, will just soften them with less water so dont have to drain them, it just gave a them a better texture for the wee one eating them.