Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 09-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Default Just doesn't like weeds

Hi all,

I have a 4 year old Horsfield (George). I rehomed him in December. He was fed an appalling diet of chicken, egg and a bit of salad (iceberg etc). Since then, I've varied the salad (lollo rosso, romaine, escarole, bratavia etc), added pellets and tried to introduce hiim to weeds. However, he really doesn't like weeds. I've tried everything from chopping them up and mixing them with salad, sprinkling the weeds with cucumber juice, etc but he just won't eat them. He eats a little when outside (mainly dandelion) but that's it. Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible that he just doesn't like weeds?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Have you ever tasted a weed Peter? They're mainly bitter and not very palatable (to me anyway ).

I would personally just give the weeds without the salad or pellets for a few days. When hungry, they eat weeds mate.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Perseverance is the name of the game.

There is often similar posts to this one on another Forum and the advice is to be tough and don't give in. They will eat them eventually.

Note: this is presuming that the tortoise does not have any underlying health problems etc.

What weeds have you tried giving him?
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Once upon a time one of the arguments against the use of pellets was that tortoises got addicted to them and wouldn't eat anything else - the same was said for bananas (no, not good food for torts) How much truth there is in that I don't know, a tort I re-homed last year was apparently fed almost exclusively on pellets and when she came to live with me took to weeds like a duck to water, but then i didn't give her any option, it was weeds or bust.

I think pellets do fill them up, and after a pellet meal aren't always hungry the next day.

You could try a day without food (it won't hurt) and then the next day offer some weeds. I'd try and offer as wide a variety as you can, in one sitting and observe to see what torty picks out....

Sometimes I've found at tiems they 'go off' certain weeds, I think it can be to do with the time of year, or the stage of the plant itself. I have my theories why but no technical evidence as such.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClareandCo View Post
Perseverance is the name of the game.

There is often similar posts to this one on another Forum and the advice is to be tough and don't give in. They will eat them eventually.

Note: this is presuming that the tortoise does not have any underlying health problems etc.

What weeds have you tried giving him?
I've tried plantain, clover, chickweed, nipplewort, dandelion, ground elder, mallow, bristly ox tongue. He will eat a bit of dandelion and clover, but only tiny bits.

I'm not too concerned about he is growing, his weight is increasing steadily and his poo is firm.

I might try leaving him tomorrow and then giving him weeds on Wednesday.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I found that sowthistle was the one that mine first went for before giving in to the rest

Last edited by Alan1; 10-05-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
ethelandedna
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
Once upon a time one of the arguments against the use of pellets was that tortoises got addicted to them and wouldn't eat anything else - the same was said for bananas (no, not good food for torts) How much truth there is in that I don't know, a tort I re-homed last year was apparently fed almost exclusively on pellets and when she came to live with me took to weeds like a duck to water, but then i didn't give her any option, it was weeds or bust.
hahaha Sorry slightly off topic but I can so relate to the food addiction theory, although it's with our cats. They've always had dry food but we gave them a pouch of meat and jelly type the other day. They are now like little junkies. Can't get enough of the stuff. Actually meowing at us to give them more!!!

Like this thread as I was having the same concerns myself about Pebble. He loves lambs lettuce and 'red' lettuce varieties. Also dandelions, violets and campanula when in the garden. But if I pick weeds and present them he doesn't want to know. I keep buying bags of salad for him and mixing weeds in but was worried about leaving him with no food at all. He's never been a ravenous monster like so many of here say their torts are.

Will have to try some tough love and keep the salad for us humans.
ethelandedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
suttysue
Sub Adult

Hang on in there Peter, You will have to be as stuborn as he is. It has to be weeds weeds weeds for George. Stick with veriety and he will eventualy eat them as the need to survive will kick in.
Suggest you keep an eye on his weight.
You know weeds are the best food for him, your problem is he hasn't realised that yet.
Go for it Peter, your his Dad & you know best
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Thank you, everyone. No food for Big Geroge today. His weight has been fine; increasing steadily (3g last month).
Old 10-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
TortBabe
Adult

I would also bath twice a day, it may help to stimulate his appetite