Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 17-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #41
EJ
Adult

Interesting rationalization.

I do think it would be better to decapatate the animal befor slaughtering. There is not reason for live butchering.

As to the last part... we are talking reptiles. I really don't think there is the element of fear (an emotion) as you find in mammals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyzazou View Post
There is no excuse for chopping something up whilst alive, regardless of your culture or origins; whether it be turtle, cat, dog, insect, worm .. the list goes on.

One of the differences between hunting with dogs and the turtle trade in Asia is that a fox or a hare has a good chance of escape. However, a turtle has far less chance and capture rates will be far exceed escaping rates.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #42
abelly08
Egg

that is so sick , those poor animals .... couldn't watch it all. I think the people doing it should be ashamed of them self and they should be hit on the head with a very big hammer if they can do it to animals then see if they still want to do it to them then. Tortoises are wonderful creatures, the best around. I got mine about 5 week ago and it is the bestest pet i've ever had.
abelly08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #43
EJ
Adult

Yea... this is where I have a problem...

'they should be hit on the head with a hammer'... I'm curious... would you be able to do this?

The best one I like which I will never forget... do us all a favor and throw yourself under a moving bus... The person who said that didn't even have the courage or conviction to pull the act off themselves.

The point here is that many people are willing to jump on a band wagon but lack the conviction to actually do something meaningful... signing an e-petition... is not meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelly08 View Post
that is so sick , those poor animals .... couldn't watch it all. I think the people doing it should be ashamed of them self and they should be hit on the head with a very big hammer if they can do it to animals then see if they still want to do it to them then. Tortoises are wonderful creatures, the best around. I got mine about 5 week ago and it is the bestest pet i've ever had.
and
Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #44
kate w.j
Egg

i watched a bit and it made me feel ill and i couldnt watch any longer
kate w.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #45
gazinbrid
Hatched

i watced as much as i could but had to turn off when they cut shell off turtle how much pain. wish i hadnt watched it know it will keep popping in my head what a downer to start the day
gazinbrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #46
Star
Sub Adult

I know this is an old thread, but I was horrified at the video link, the image of the tortoise being decapitated whilst still alive, will haunt me forever. How tragic that even after centuries of evolving, that we haven't managed to find humane ways of killing for food. I don't think I can ever understand the need to eat a tortoise, I do understand the difference with cultures and beliefs relating to certain traditions, but still, all living creatures have the right to a decent and humane way of life and death.
It’s sad how obvious it was, to all in that video, of the suffering that poor creature was experiencing, yet no one was fazed or bothered. The shock stems mainly with the disregard for life, regardless of what many will say relating to other methods of killing for food, all creatures should be killed humanely. That poor creature was butchered and made to suffer far more than it should have, all it would have taken was to put it out of its misery, yet it was left to suffer in absolute excruciating pain, for as long as possible.
I think some rituals and traditions are well out dated and that as we have evolved, so should many of our ways. I don’t want to place my beliefs onto others, but I do think that we all change and advance, and so should some of the practices we use, this doesn’t only stand for other countries, many of our own countries are responsible for some very sad and inhumane methods when looking at rearing and killing animals for food.
0.5.0. Playful T.H.H / T.H.B
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #47
EJ
Adult

Get over it... the next time you have a hamburger, steak, chicken or fish... give it some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I was horrified at the video link, the image of the tortoise being decapitated whilst still alive, will haunt me forever. How tragic that even after centuries of evolving, that we haven't managed to find humane ways of killing for food. I don't think I can ever understand the need to eat a tortoise, I do understand the difference with cultures and beliefs relating to certain traditions, but still, all living creatures have the right to a decent and humane way of life and death.
It’s sad how obvious it was, to all in that video, of the suffering that poor creature was experiencing, yet no one was fazed or bothered. The shock stems mainly with the disregard for life, regardless of what many will say relating to other methods of killing for food, all creatures should be killed humanely. That poor creature was butchered and made to suffer far more than it should have, all it would have taken was to put it out of its misery, yet it was left to suffer in absolute excruciating pain, for as long as possible.
I think some rituals and traditions are well out dated and that as we have evolved, so should many of our ways. I don’t want to place my beliefs onto others, but I do think that we all change and advance, and so should some of the practices we use, this doesn’t only stand for other countries, many of our own countries are responsible for some very sad and inhumane methods when looking at rearing and killing animals for food.
and
Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #48
Star
Sub Adult

EJ I dont eat meat, so maybe you should get over it
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin
Before enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment - chop wood, carry water. ~Zen Buddhist Proverb

Last edited by Star; 09-07-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #49
EJ
Adult

so you're a vegan?

Did you know that plants have feelings?... they feel pain and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star View Post
EJ I dont eat meat, so maybe you should get over it
and
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #50
Star
Sub Adult

Yes, and have been since I was 10, but this wasn't why I responded to the thread. As I stated, I feel that many parts of the world use cruel methods of killing for food. I am not against the consumption of meat, just how cruel we can be when killing.
11 Tropical Fish
1 Bearded Lizard
Lots of Aspirin