Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Rambotron
Egg

Default sphagnum moss

I'm struggling to keep the humidity on my Tort table up above 30-40% and wondered if anyone had any success with sphagnum moss?

Irwin's Tort table has a 'covered' cool section which naturally has a slightly higher humidity but she rarely uses it, instead she mostly sleeps under a fiddlesticks hut, I figured if sphagnum moss was safe for a Hermann's i might put some in there for her to dig around in and sleep on.

I use a 50/50 sand and top soil substrate, i did briefly try the coco fibre stuff which was great for humidity but Irwin kept eating it so I had to change back to soil and sand.

Shes quite curious and a bit greedy lol, I guess i'm worried about using the moss to increase humidity and her assuming its a personal buffet, which would put us in the same situation as we were with the cocofibre substrate!

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Rambotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

I'm assuming you have an open top table, in which case you won't keep the humidity very high, but you will under the hide.put the spagnum moss here, so when he goes under there at night, this will keep him hydrated over night. Also keeping the soil damp will help too, when they dig down in the soil, they create humid micro climates, this help to keep them hydrated and to regulate body temps, so don't worry about humidity out in the open, it's under the hide that matters.

You don't need any sand , just top soil, sand can irritate the eyes.

If she doesn't use the hide much, don't worry, if she digs in the soil, this will keep her hydrated enough.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 22-02-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

You may have to remind us which species Irwin is , I think he was a Horsfield wasn't he ? but forgive me I can barely remember birthdays and special dates. Nice little plant spray also - except hatchlings my lot love the warm spray and it hits the substrate also so I know I am getting 65% for at least a good hour or two. CB
Old 22-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Rambotron
Egg

Hi! Thannks for the responses! Irwin is a female Hermanns Tort. She's approximately 2 to 2.5 years old but ive only had her since 1st Jan. She came to me with some serious soft shell and damaged back legs but shes really coming on great!
Shes still on daily liquid calcium and daily soaks, but she has developed quite a greedy appetite lol

Humidity is the only battle I havent beenable to win! I will try to water the soil more regularly and try some moss in her hide!

Thanks again!
Old 22-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Rambotron
Egg

Irwin is a female Hermanns, roughly 2 to 2.5 years old.
But ive only had her since January.

Shes doing really well and seems super happy in her environment, the only thing i havent been able to master is the humidity! I will try watering the substrate more often and a bit of moss in the hide. Thanks for the feedback
Old 23-02-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
Rambotron
Egg

Sorry im so new to this! I didnt mean to sort of duplicate my post i thought the first hadnt published lol
Old 25-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Suze65
Adult

They don't need a huge amount of humidity, about 65/70% under the hide, think about their natural habitat, very dry and arrid, but hatchlings will spend a lot of their day down animal burrows or in rocky holes, so cool and damp, bigger torts will dig a scrape under a nice big woody shrub, even under here they will create up to 30/40% humidity, even though the ground is very dry, they only need to scratch the surface and the ground becomes damp. But out in the open it will be very hot and dry.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Rambotron
Egg

Just an Update, I tried the moss under her stick hut hide and she HATED it.
She stopped going under there until I removed it all, and even now she seems to distrust what was once her favourite sleeping spot!

And to think, I was worried about her liking it too much and eating it all!.

I will just have to persevere with 'watering' the substrate in her hide more frequently.

But I wont worry about the rest of her substrate being a bit dry, thankyou for the help
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambotron View Post
Just an Update, I tried the moss under her stick hut hide and she HATED it.
She stopped going under there until I removed it all, and even now she seems to distrust what was once her favourite sleeping spot!

And to think, I was worried about her liking it too much and eating it all!.

I will just have to persevere with 'watering' the substrate in her hide more frequently.

But I wont worry about the rest of her substrate being a bit dry, thankyou for the help
Do keep the substrate damp all across the table , so where ever your tortoise decides to dig down she will create a humid micro climate, if the surface dries a little that's fine, but keep it moist underneath . Keep the substrat farely deep , this way it won't dry out too quickly.