Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
CherryBrandy
Adult

Default Lumisol and cloche & Spur

You may remember Missy Olive. She is a very quiet tortoise and small for her age of 60 odd and doesn't like a lot of noise or bussle. So she sleeps in her cloche at the bottom of the garden. I close her house up every night.

For some years her cloche was under a cheapy plastic cover adapted over a £19.00 B&Q summer pergola frame and I would often check the micro climate under the cover which was pretty much warmish from spring to autumn.

today I got the lumisol out I bought 3 years ago! nothing like taking the bull by the horns, just a little later... and cut a piece off and added eyelets to it round the edges and then tied it by string to the cheapy B&Q frame.

(don't do this with any breeze whatsoever as 1) It nearly took off with me hanging on like some crazy lawn surfing game 2) the edge whipped me full on in the face and the eyelet took a piece of me with it !

Pickies from other year

Wildlife camera - always in with Missy Olive.

I mostly let her area get overgrown as she likes to hide so much

In there somewhere

todays work while Gordon was sunning himself in Salisbury ... for those who don't know the lumisol material lets in all UV light which makes it ideal for Tortoises and plants.

I know its a bit rough and ready but the benefits of providing a microclimate outweigh the untidiness...but that's because I m not good at DIY but give it a go.

I will be interested to see how the plants do underneath so will plant more in there.