Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
judith ann
Hatched

Default Sulcata winter housing

Am looking to make a winter house for my Sulcata but not sure on measurements .It obviously has to have heatingin it so how high would it have to be ? Also she will be in there most of the time cause of our english weather so how big ? Want to make the smallest possible without detriment to her health as she will have free roam of the garden .Would a greenhouse do ? If so what sort of heating would i need ? Do you allow them to choose weather they go in or out even in bad weather ? Judy
0.1.0.Freisian Mare.Trijntsje
2.0.0.Budgies.Oliver and Magic
2.0.0.Russian Dwarf Hamsters.Morgan and Toby.
0.1.0.Teenage Ggrandaughter.
1.0.0.Long Suffering Husband.
0.1.0.Sulcata Fluffy
1.4.0.Children
2.6.0.Grandchildren
judith ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Pussygalore
Adult

greenhouses only really work in the summer and would cost a fortune to heat at least to sully temps as all the heat would just go out the glass, it would work as part of the run with a hanging heat bulb though. I think the best bet is somthing wooden and well insulated such as a large dog type kennel, possibly placed in the gh if thats where you want it. That way you'd be heating a much smaller area and with some of that heavy strip plastic over the door/entrance you should be able to retain the heat in the kennel. My two Ibera have kennels with lift up roof's and a combined for the day and ceramic for nights, I'd say that they are warm enough for a sully but are well insulated both floor/walls and roof, they are labrador size and cost me about £30 of ebay, they have the opening in the front and a removable partition the same kennel is usually well over £100 in the shops. Hubby had to put an extra floor in as they weren't very draft proof, also build a ramp and make a closable door. Coz it depends on how big your sully is, you could start of small or go big from the start.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
judith ann
Hatched

Thanks .Fluff is 11ins now so would be better starting big !!Thats a good idea about a dog kennel but didnt know if it would be big enough for her to spend so long inthe winter.Had a look at some wendy houses on E Bay and that seems a possibility .Thanks for your help ! think its just a matter of picking everyones brains Judy
0.1.0.Freisian Mare.Trijntsje
2.0.0.Budgies.Oliver and Magic
2.0.0.Russian Dwarf Hamsters.Morgan and Toby.
0.1.0.Teenage Ggrandaughter.
1.0.0.Long Suffering Husband.
0.1.0.Sulcata Fluffy
1.4.0.Children
2.6.0.Grandchildren
judith ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Minty913
Hatched

You really need something big enough to have her walk about in on them winter months. I built mine 2.5 x 2.5 x 1.8 meters. I think the whole thing cost 350 or as far as Amanda knows 150 lol

They grow really fast so better planning for the long term rather than in a couple of years having to build a large one.

I would recommend building one because you can make sure its fully insulted and build it to fit your garden.

Sheds are good but u think the problem with them is you have a lot of over head space that will get heated trays why I never made it that tall. Plus I can send the kids in to clean her out as I'm to tall Haha
Minty913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Gem
Incubating

I would think the very least you would need is a 8ft by 8ft shed, as she has quite alot of growing still to do and that way it will last her a few years too, No point buying something small when it will be quickly outgrown.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote