Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

I'd say for a tort to hibernate the temps are going to be well below 10c for a period of time, even in our summers we don't get that. If I didn't have outside heating for my adults they'd not be comming out much but wouldn't be hibernating just a bit to cold to do much, however they'd still be awake and using up their body fat reserves etc. Temps need to be 4-5c to hibernate a tort so if you allow yours to just sleep indefinately at temps higher than this it would eventually starve and dehydrate, although they can go for sometime without food/water its not something you want and the longer this happened the harder it would be to get them up and eating again. If you don't have outside heating then you'll need to bring the tort inside for a warm up and get him/her up and active again, hopefully the weather will get better but nothing hibernates in the summer.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
judith ann
Hatched

Thank you all .We have now woken it up and are working very hard to keep it awake !!! We are bathing twice a day and making sure it goes out in the sun although it is indoors under lamp at night and when cloudy .Will be putting photos on here for sexing . Judy
0.1.0.Freisian Mare.Trijntsje
2.0.0.Budgies.Oliver and Magic
2.0.0.Russian Dwarf Hamsters.Morgan and Toby.
0.1.0.Teenage Ggrandaughter.
1.0.0.Long Suffering Husband.
0.1.0.Sulcata Fluffy
1.4.0.Children
2.6.0.Grandchildren
judith ann is offline   Reply With Quote