Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 26-04-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
aprillinda

hannah

thank you very a very understandable description of the situation

sue thanks for putting the message here
Old 27-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Brilliant thank you, very interesting read.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

do you think this is whats worng with my herman then ? i have got posts in both medeterranian and health sections and if so is the herpes thing a threat to me too !?
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:09 PM   #24
EJ
Adult

Hi Kristy,

The alarmists will drive you crazy.

These tortoises are farmed in their native country which is very similar to the Cherry Head Redfoot tortoises in that a land owner has capitalized on a market by feeding a controlled native population of tortoises for resale. These tortoises are basically farmed free range animals and as such they usually carry all the pathogens that the WC population carries but sometimes more so because of the over crowding. They shoud be treated as WC animals.

The herps virus is a little 'known' virus. This means that for every question you have about the virus another two are raised. You will drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out (I've been there). It seems that it is relatively common in WC populations of Testudo and is brought out by stress. I believe it is very similar to Mycoplasma in that it is a great deal more common than we once thought and that stress brings it out.

It is bad but it does seem to be controlable and it is not a death sentence. I would be very cautious about adding more to the same group but if you can verify the source I don't see a problem with adding more from the same source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyhumphrey
wat should i do as mine is from slovinia (sorry about the spelling)
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #25
madness
Incubating

Default what do i do?

i contacted a so called breeder through a newspaper ad and he is coming to my home to vet me and bring some torts.after questioning further it turns out he gets the torts from slovenia and then sells them.he says they are captive bred there.does this mean they are still imports.i want uk bred torts that have had weeds and proper care.im scared what should i do,i dont want poorly torts for my kids.does any one know of anyone with 2 baby torts for sale .i live in newcastle.thanks im new to this site.xxx
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 PM   #26
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

u don't really wanna be buying those torts.....look on the breeder list here and u shud find some help.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 AM   #27
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Madness,

Stick to your guns, you are right wanting a UKCB tortoise, these tortoises from Slovinia are renowned to be riddled with potential illness, there are lucky ones out there but if you are aware of the risks its entirely up to you at the end of the day which way you go.

There are some fantastic UK breeders out there, you might have to travel but it will be worth it.

I would phone this dealer up and cancel. Then if everyone else did the same maybe we could stop this import racket as there is definately enough UK breeders to support the resposible trade of CB tortoises.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:09 AM   #28
EJ
Adult

First words that come to mind... despiration is a wonderful thing. There is conviction and there is 'i'm right'.

You're opinion is based on what??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire_Ade
Hi Madness,

Stick to your guns, you are right wanting a UKCB tortoise, these tortoises from Slovinia are renowned to be riddled with potential illness, there are lucky ones out there but if you are aware of the risks its entirely up to you at the end of the day which way you go.

There are some fantastic UK breeders out there, you might have to travel but it will be worth it.

I would phone this dealer up and cancel. Then if everyone else did the same maybe we could stop this import racket as there is definately enough UK breeders to support the resposible trade of CB tortoises.

Ade
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #29
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #30
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I agree with Ade please don't get a tortoise from slovenia.
I have had many rehomed tortoises from slovenia that have been very ill with a very high worm load. Also if you don't buy them they will eventually stop the importation.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote