Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
em7070
Hatched

Question Hibernation questions :S

I'm hoping to gather some advice please

Squirt my Hermanns is now over 2 years old, 10cm in length and in his last weigh-in was 190g. I've had him since he was 10 months and decided against hibernating last winter as I just didn't feel confident enough (I hope that doesn't sound too selfish but I'm a worrier!)

I would like to hibernate him this winter and he seems to be telling me he'd like to hibernate; he's not eating as much, but is perfectly healthy. He's been sleeping a bit more and when he's awake seems to spend most of the time trying to find somewhere to hide, digging down into the substrate!

Ideally how long could I hibernate him for (bear in mind I'm going to worry all the way through!), I was thinking 8 weeks, is this ideal?

I also have a baby Hermanns called Lola that I got earlier this year (from the same breeder as Squirt). She's only 4 months old, therefore could she be hibernated or is she too tiny? If not she could be overwintered.

They'd have to be hibernated in our new (and safe!) shed in our garden in a cardboard box and I have a larger wooden box they can be placed in for safety.

Any advice would be appreciated!
em7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
jamestaylor18
Hatched

I think 8 is the minimum you should do for your first time. My horsefields did their first time last year! They woke up like different tortoises! It is very stressful winding down & hibernating them! Just wait until you stop feeding them, they will give you the "please feed me I'm starving" looks! But gradually they become more lazy and by the time the wind down is up, they are almost asleep anyway! I keep everything the same for 4 weeks then drop the daylight hours by a couple of hours for week 5, and again by a couple of hours for week six. Depending on what my temps are like by weeks 7&8 I usually just nudge the thermostat down a tad too to 25-30c. Throughout the whole process they get a daily bath too, apart from the last week when it's every other day!

What hibernation method are you going to use?

I personally being the control freak that I am, use the fridge method!
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
jamestaylor18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
em7070
Hatched

Hi James,
Thanks so much for your advice! I have to say I'm not going to like the part where you stop feeding them, I'll feel ever so guilty when I still get to stuff my face!! Thanks for your advice on the daylight hours and temps, that sounds pretty much like all I've been reading. Sadly I haven't got a fridge to do the fridge method though I would have liked to! We don't have a garage either! However, we do have a new and sturdy/safe shed. Oh it's all so daunting!! But I think its only fair when he has been showing signs of slowing down just recently to hibernate him, it's just me that's a major worrier!

Thanks again for your advice
Old 19-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

As soon as your tortoise has done it's wind down of three weeks you can then box it up. Baths are required by the way to make sure your tortoise has had a drink. Two months should be enough for the first time. As you are going to put it in the shed, make sure you have enough insulation around the tortoises box and keep a low wattage heater on stat, so that if the temp. drops your tortoise will not freeze. If it were to get very cold like last year a heater is a must. I would suggest you do not hibernate the hatchling until next year.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
em7070
Hatched

Hi Shelled Lady

Thanks for your advice, I agree and don't plan to hibernate Lola now, she's just too teeny tiny! I'll look into a low wattage heater and have planned lots of insulation in the big wooden box to help protect Squirt from the elements

Thanks once again, all your advice is greatly appreciated
Old 20-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
kkenny
Sub Adult

Great thread, has helped me too.

And Emma, I also have a tank full of Tropical Fish

Spartacus, THB, March 2013
Henry, THB, July 2008
kkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
em7070
Hatched

Hi Karin, glad to hear the thread has helped you too! I feel a bit embarrassed to ask but sometimes the advice people give you on here is so important and helpful alongside what I've been picking up in books and on the Tortoise Trust's website

Tropical fish are so much fun, even after years of having them I still sit and watch sometimes!