Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #121
Tommi
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
I gave three months as thats the average for hibernation. And some keepers have to have a time. Once you have been keeping torts for as long as I have, you get to know your tortoises and what they do
I keep digging over the soil in the greenhouse as needed. As once they walk around it it goes harder again. But they manage to dig down whatever.
I usually know roughly where they are, as they do sometimes move up and down as the temps change. If I can see the very top of the shell, I cover with a curved roof tile.
If I have any that find it hard to settle (I always get a male ibera who does this) I cover the area with a piece of cardboard or hardboard to shut out light. This usually works.
Sandy, I have just inherited an elderly Algerian female, who had to be transported from her old home when her owner died approx 3 weeks ago. I have kept her in the same box with the straw that her owner had supplied. apparently she has always hibernated her like this in a shed. This was done on 6th November. I am checking Tommi daily and all is still dry in there, however as I have had no control over her weight monitoring I am concerned about the length of hibernation. She has never had the luxury of heat/uv lamps, just the garden. We have bought a safe secure house for her with a ramp/door and built an enclosure ready for her. Concerned on what to do next. By the way, I live in North West Kent.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #122
lisa
Hatched

Hi

Do you think I should wake Thomas up yet, he's been in the garage since 31 October, he's fine hissing at me everytime I have a look at him.

Just wondered if he'd had long enough or should I just leave him to get up when he wants? How much weigh is ok to loose, I forgot to weigh him today, can;t remember what he was lst time as it's written on the box and it's to cold and dark to go down to the garage now.

Lisa

lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #123
eric&amy
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to eric&amy

That is sooo cool. Putting a tortoise in a fridge hehehehe. I know it will help keep the tortoise from becoming ill and possibly having health issues later in life, but it looks a little funny putting one in a fridge.

We're moving slower then molasses on a warm day

See our 3 live at "The Box"
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/three-torts-in-a-box
eric&amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #124
vickyad
Egg

Send a message via MSN to vickyad
Default how long?

i got my 7 year old tort in june so this is my 1st year hibernating. he went down at the start of december, when will he be awake??
Old 14-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #125
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
Sandy, I have just inherited an elderly Algerian female, who had to be transported from her old home when her owner died approx 3 weeks ago. I have kept her in the same box with the straw that her owner had supplied. apparently she has always hibernated her like this in a shed. This was done on 6th November. I am checking Tommi daily and all is still dry in there, however as I have had no control over her weight monitoring I am concerned about the length of hibernation. She has never had the luxury of heat/uv lamps, just the garden. We have bought a safe secure house for her with a ramp/door and built an enclosure ready for her. Concerned on what to do next. By the way, I live in North West Kent.
Hi Tommi, If you are at all worried or concerned I would get her up no matter how long she has had, but she has been hibernating for 18 Weeks, so that would be a long hibernation as most people give 12 to 16 weeks. Our Algerian old lady is due up this week after 16 weeks.
Old 14-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #126
Laraine
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa View Post
Hi

Do you think I should wake Thomas up yet, he's been in the garage since 31 October, he's fine hissing at me everytime I have a look at him.

Just wondered if he'd had long enough or should I just leave him to get up when he wants? How much weigh is ok to loose, I forgot to weigh him today, can;t remember what he was lst time as it's written on the box and it's to cold and dark to go down to the garage now.

Lisa
Hi Lisa, Sounds like he is already awake if he is hissing at you, as the weather has been warm recently, so he could be awake. From the 31st October he has had 19 weeks, most people hibernate med species for 12 to 16 weeks.
Old 14-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #127
Laraine
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyad View Post
i got my 7 year old tort in june so this is my 1st year hibernating. he went down at the start of december, when will he be awake??
Hi Vicky, you can get him up now, he has had 14 weeks, so should be raring to go. Most people hibernate med species for between 12 and 16 weeks. I hope you have lots of juicy weeds ready.