Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
terrific tortoises
Juvenile

Default MY HIBERNATION LAST YEAR...AND THIS YEAR TOO...

...I repeat...this was my hibernation for my Spur thighed Iberas that I did last year. At the time, the babies were approx. 16 months old, I cooled them down (gradually lowering their daylight hours and temps) over the coarse of approx. 3 weeks. Then I starved them (no food) for another 3 weeks, and at that point (after giving them a long warmish bath, which gave them a chance to drink water) I dried them off, then placed them into a hibernation period of 6 weeks...In my opinion I should have hibernated them longer (8 weeks?) but because I didnt put then down till very late (after January) and using the box method, once a couple of them showed signs of movement, I woke the rest of them up.

They were placed into shoe boxes, (sectioned off for seperation) a layer of shredded newspaper on the bottom of the boxes, then a loose layer of shredded newspaper on the top of the torts. Lids were then placed on to the boxes, then the boxes were placed into a large wooden box in my concrete garage, heavy objects were placed on the lids to stop any tort climbing out. The box lids and sides had lots of air holes in them, and the large wooded box was left open. I checked daily for noises and temps using thermometers with probes which were placed through holes in their boxes. I also blacked out the garage windows and door to prevent light shinning through, I crept around the garage as to not make too much noise. Also all my adults were also boxed up and in the garage aswell...

These rather basic methods of hibernating my torts are how I choose to hibernate them. I, in no way, am suggesting that this is how it should be done, and would like to think that it is a basic guide for other tort keepers to possible try some of my methods, whilst they may also try other methods too. This year I will be repeating my methods, maybe fine tunning certain aspects for my baby torts, but my adult torts have been hibernated like this for years, although I starve my adults for a month, and hibernate them for 4 months...

I would ask the other experienced keepers/breeders on here, to add their methods on this thread also, that way all members can take certain aspects of our methods, and choose the best methods available to them...

If people dissagree/question my methods, that is also fine...we all have our own ways in doing things ...Heres the photo of the torts in question, can you spot scuter in there ...T.T.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Glitter

Moved from the archives by request. Feel free to add your own views and experiences of hibernation.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
helen1
Sub Adult

Pretty much as I have done for the past 38yrs successfully with adult torts- no fatalities or poorly torts. The only one that died was a rescue who came still in hibernation and as he had been kept chilled and dark and I detected no movement I stupidly left him, however he passed away and when I saw him it seemed that he may have already done so before he came to me. It was a horrid experience and the previous owners became uncontactable so I am sure they knew he was ill.

For two yrs I have hibernated 6 torts aged 2 and upwards to 5yrs, I have worried every year about the newspaper and them tipping over if they did wake-has anyone anyother suggestions, hemp maybe? Cannot seem to get hold of it near me except in small bags on ebay which I guess are expensive.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Thanks Paul,

I had my first ever sucessful hibernation of tortoises following this step by step guide. (My tortoises as a child always died during hibernation so I was naturally very anxious).

Penny and Jenny went down Christmas week and were monitiored daily for temps and every other day for visual check.

Weighed weekly too, Penny only managed 6 weeks hibernation as she started to loose weight too much so I got her up and started her Spring off with a nice warm 20 minute bath, a warm under her lamp and a few dandilion leaves. Jenny had the full 8 weeks before waking up.

The only thing I had to battle with was keeping the temps in the garage around 5 degrees c which proved quite interesting due to the mild winter we had.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

I'm unsure as to whether I should hybernate Puddle because she's had quite a poorly year?
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Kayleigh, definately miss out hibernation this year.

If a tortoise is newly aquired,(for example got in September, as the stress of a new home might be too much), been ill, or involved in any trauma, receiving treatment for anything this year or up to hibernation the tortoise should be overwintered in a torotise table to limit the likelihood of fatality during hibernation.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Ok, so when it gets to bringing her in this year, just to put her on her table like normal until she goes back out next year and hibernate her next winter?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Yes Kayleigh thats correct, over winter in the tortoise table with the UV and heat lamp until its good enough for puddle to go out again next year.

Ade

Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Is puddle still in at the moment? I would keep her in until the wounds have closed up anyway.

Ade

Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Yeah, she's in her hospital box and its bein kept nice and sterile until she heals