Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 15-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
Alex
Juvenile

Default Pancake incubation

Hi there if you were to incubate pancake eggs what sort of temperature would you incubate them at for mainly males? or mainly females?
I have been told they should be incubated at a medium to low humidity and have read with other species to place a tub of water in the incubator but would this cause too much humidity for pancake eggs?
And what sort of age can these tortoises live to?
Many thanks
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Alex,

Sorry but i am unable to assist in answering your question but I am sure there will be more experienced keepers and breeders along who will certainly be able to help you further.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Jeff should be able to help on this one

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #4
jeff
Sub Adult

Hi Alex
The group ive got are a breeding group,The person that owned these tortoise before me used to incubate at 31c and produced only females.So i would go with this as a guide line 27c to29c should give you males,And 31c to 33c would give you females.Its not 100% sure if they are environmental sex determination,They could be sex chromosomes may have some thing to do with the sex of a hatchling.Its probable that they are ESD,But more research needs to be done to be sure.Incubation humidity does not appear to be particularly critical with this speices,But i incubated mine at about 70%.
Ive all so been told that many breeding attempts fail,Due to genectic disparity.So to get a good breeding pair they need to be genectic compatible.Im not sure about the life span,I would not like to say.Do you keep pancakes then,Or are you thinking of getting them.Hope this helps Jeff
Old 16-09-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Alex
Juvenile

Hi, thanks for your help. No I don't have any pancakes at the moment, I am hoping to buy a pair but before I do would like to know as much as possible. At the moment i am insulating a 14 x 7 foot shed which I hope to use (half of it) for pancakes. Just out of interest where abouts do your pancakes originate from or if they are captive bred their parents?
Old 16-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
jeff
Sub Adult

Hi Alex
The group i got there origin is unknow,You see i got them of a friend who kept them for many yrs.And she got them of some 1 else who had them for a few yrs,So the first keeper is now pass away.So the group ive got are about 20 yrs plus old,Where abouts are you going to get your pancakes from.I keep mine in a 6ft by 2ft tortoise table.
Old 18-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Alex
Juvenile

I have seen a pair for sale in kent I think also seen a group of 4 for sale on an add online but only after 2 for now. I saw the pictures of you enclosure it looked great as did the tortoises. Do you have any good tips on keeping these facinating tortoises?
Old 18-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
jeff
Sub Adult

Hi Alex
Tips, just beware of imports there are a lot about,There were a larg shipment of pancakes from slovenia.And they are wild caught,And in my opinion any 1 who takes any animal out of the wild for money or self gain in any way is a very sad person.Any way if you should need any further advice please feel free to ask mate.
Old 18-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #9
Alex
Juvenile

Yes I agree. Thanks im sure I will have questions to come lol. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 20-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
Alex
Juvenile

Sorry I ask so many questions lol but for my enclosure I was thinking of a more sand/ soil based inclosure where as all the ones I have seen tend to be more soil, does this really matter either way. The inclosure I intended to have woud contain sand stones I believe wth unused patio slabs placed in it in places aswell does this seem ok to you?