Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #101
touie
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Has the vet done any tests? He might be jumping the gun a bit. What makes him/her think it's not just RNS?
I think he said that there was around a 1% chance that it could be caused by something other than Herpes or Mycoplasma. I don't know how he came to that conclusion but he does see alot of Tortoises. He also said that he would be prepared to put it in writing that the tortoise was ill before it got to me if I needed it.
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #102
EJ
Adult

Looking at the date of this post I think it is time that it be removed as a permanent post aka 'sticky'.

By now if such a thing were true it would have been more definative considering how many of these animals have beed distributed world wide. The post could be construed as a slanderous statement.

This also goes to show how some posts are intended more as a scare tactic than actual useful information.

These farms actually provide a good service in making good animals available to the average tortoise keeper at a reasonable price. They do this without any impact on wild populations.

To the OP... didn't read the entire thread... did you get it directly from the breeder?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care

Last edited by EJ; 05-10-2010 at 06:09 PM.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #103
FinnGB
Hatchling

My tortoises are from Slovenia and Macedonia and i haven't had any problems, my friend has had one from Slovenia for some time now(4-5 years i think), and no problems either

Rick
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #104
SeeShell
Adult

2 of mine are from Slovenia; one is 8 and the other is 2 - no problems at all with either!
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #105
fungimala
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeShell View Post
2 of mine are from Slovenia; one is 8 and the other is 2 - no problems at all with either!
My Aunt Has a Hermann tortoise imported from Slovenia, and he is 16 years old, and must have been one of the lucky ones
fungimala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #106
Box girl
Sub Adult

I agree we would have seen many deaths if this were true.
By the way Ed as a staunch not pelleted food person I am after your info at the Chester Symposium going to be starting mine on the UK version of Mazuri next week I'll let you know how we get on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Looking at the date of this post I think it is time that it be removed as a permanent post aka 'sticky'.

By now if such a thing were true it would have been more definative considering how many of these animals have beed distributed world wide. The post could be construed as a slanderous statement.

This also goes to show how some posts are intended more as a scare tactic than actual useful information.

These farms actually provide a good service in making good animals available to the average tortoise keeper at a reasonable price. They do this without any impact on wild populations.

To the OP... didn't read the entire thread... did you get it directly from the breeder?

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #107
TortBabe
Adult

My 2 Hermanni Hermannis are imports, and I would have to say they are my best tortoises, they are so healthy, the most active torts I own and the ones who I least worry about Of course UK CBs are much preferable, but not everyone lives near a breeder
Old 18-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #108
pongpagong
Egg

thanks for the message..

Arwin
pongpagong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #109
joeshep
Egg

Just found out the owner of carlisle tortoises website has been prosecuted for importing and selling illegal tortoises! jail sentence, fine and community service! Didn't know if this was old news, just read it on twitter today!
joeshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #110
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

yes, suspended jail sentence http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/news...ises_1_1783198

Published on Thu Dec 09 15:13:45 GMT 2010

SIX little tortoises are the newest lifelong residents at Wisbech shop DK Reptiles.

The marginated and spur-thigh tortoises, which were the size of 50p coins when they arrived, have been at the shop for almost two years, but have only just been unveiled to the public after being illegally imported.

Staff at DK had to keep quiet about the animals while an investigation was carried out by wildlife officers from Cumbria Police, the National Wildlife Crime Unit and Animal Health department.

Robert Struthers, the owner of 
online reptile trading firm Carlisle Tortoise, was sentenced to a 24-week jail term suspended for two years, 250 hours unpaid work and had to pay £1,200 costs for the illegal trade of endangered tortoises.

DK owner David Johnson said they bought a total of 12 tortoises from the company, which they found in a reptile magazine and believed to be a reputable firm.

When the tortoises arrived, some of them had no Article 10 paperwork with them, which is a form of identification.

After getting different excuses from Struthers about the paperwork, David contacted DEFRA with their suspicions about the company. It emerged there was no paperwork for the animals.

DK were allowed to keep the tortoises, but the shop cannot sell them and the animals can’t leave the premises.

David said they plan to run an adoption scheme, where people sponsor them, as the shop will have responsibility for them for the rest of their lives – possibly 80 to 100 years

Last edited by Alan1; 10-12-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote