Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default Windows 8.1

I have not disappeared, just trying to get to grips with windows 8.1 which is the worst windows I've ever had. XP being my favourite. Back on my old one today which has a problem with the on board graphics and is windows 7
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
pagan queen
Adult

I've not tried 8.1 yet Alan but getting a new laptop soon so may have it. What's wrong with it. I hate getting new computers, takes so long to get used to them and transfer all the stuff you need from the old one. My favourite was XP too.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm a fan of XP also. We have a new laptop with windows 8 and the kids mastered it in no time. I however, have to keep asking them to help me!!
I've already got to that age where I have to ask my children to help me with modern technology!!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I've already got to that age where I have to ask my children to help me with modern technology!!!
Same here Emma. Couldn't change the TV back to sky the other day, after Kian had been playing the PS4.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
Old 10-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Same here Emma. Couldn't change the TV back to sky the other day, after Kian had been playing the PS4.
Glad it's not just me! I get confused between the normal TV and BT Vision. The kids had to teach me how get onto the Wii fit from the TV. I'm such a plank at times.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 10-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I have not disappeared, just trying to get to grips with windows 8.1 which is the worst windows I've ever had. XP being my favourite. Back on my old one today which has a problem with the on board graphics and is windows 7
I never got on with it, I unistalled 8.1 and reinstalled my Windows 7
Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
I've not tried 8.1 yet Alan but getting a new laptop soon so may have it. What's wrong with it. I hate getting new computers, takes so long to get used to them and transfer all the stuff you need from the old one. My favourite was XP too.
The problem with it is that it is not like any previous version of Windows at all, they have tried to be smart by making it more like a modern phone with sliding icons or Apps as they call them (all they really are is just desktop icons except not on the desktop). I'm glad I didn't get the touch screen version because my arm would be aching holding it out in front of me touching the screen all the time, you can opt not to but then why pay extra for it.

The most annoying thing is that when you put it on you are not already on the desktop screen, you have to actually click something or press 2 keys to get on to it.
Some programmes don't work, Nik Color Efex for Nikon Capture NX2 doesn't work with it and Nikon have sold NCE to Google who have made it compatible with Windows 8.1 but only for Photoshop, not Capture NX2

The email thing is crap and I've discovered you can download Windows Esssentials and choose to install only Windows Live Mail which I had on W7, I much preferred Outlook Express but they done away with that.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way of transferring all your favourites that you have saved for favourite websites etc. Also, just trying to find stuff like My Computer is a task. 50% of things that appear on your screen don't have a little X in the corner to click so you can close the item. Instead you have to arse about centrally at the top of the screen until your pointer changes to a hand then you 'grab' the top of the page and pull it down to close it. What on earth was wrong with just clicking the corner!! Some things do have an X though which adds to the confusion.

I've had it about a week now and have got used to it a bit more but I will never like it. I had read about Windows 8 being crap but I needed to get a new one and if you don't get the latest Windows then in a couple of years they stop providing support for Win 7. Win XP support finishes next month. It had Win 8 on it from out the box so I downloaded the Win 8.1 upgrade right away before doing anything else (it's a free update)
Old 11-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
pagan queen
Adult

That sounds like a nightmare Alan. really don't want a new laptop but this one is getting old and slow so hubby insists I have one. He was going to get me one for Christmas but I put him off for a bit. I just hate setting them all up and sorting out the settings and transferring all you bits and bobs over. Agghh, really doesn't appeal to me at all. Getting a new desktop for my son too, he's really looking forward to getting to grips with the new technology. But he's got an external hard drive with all he needs on it so just has to unplug it from the old computer and plug it in to the new one.
Can you put your favourites onto a pen stick and transfer them over? I blooming hope so cos that's what I was planning.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband

Last edited by pagan queen; 11-03-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've been looking to see if that could be done but haven't found anything to say it can. I've read a couple of reviews of W8 saying that you can't do that though. The only thing not bad is the fact that once you are on the internet from the desktop it just looks the same as previous browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox etc)
Old 11-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
I've been looking to see if that could be done but haven't found anything to say it can. I've read a couple of reviews of W8 saying that you can't do that though. The only thing not bad is the fact that once you are on the internet from the desktop it just looks the same as previous browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox etc)
Ah....we're updating the desktop soon too and had assumed we could copy our stuff across to the new computer.
Hubby had new computers installed at work last year and they must have been able to transfer their files across somehow, though he did say the favourites or 'bookmarks' as we still have them on the desktop, couldn't be saved.

Modern technology!!! I'm getting old!!