Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
pixie-egg
Sub Adult

Yeah I hate not being able to show off my torts. On our weed walks my son always tells the other dog walkers that we are 'food getting' for his two torts and I always try to down play their interest. I'd like to think I can trust our neighbours but you never know who it might get back too. A couple of years ago a friend had their dog stolen to compete in dog fights, got her back tho (just some scars but mostly ok). I NEVER put them outside when no one is home. On the whole I was always more concerned about four legged beasts but there has been FAR too many stories lately that have had to make think more. It's sad that a thread like this has been started, I think it's a good one, but still sad it's come to this.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Beverley
Adult

I live in a relatively nice neighbourhood, know everyone etc yet I tell very few I keep tortoises. When I am out weed picking I tell people I keep guinea pigs unless I really know them. I think in a way it's sad you nearly have to hide them, when you would love people to see them and learn more about them. Loads of people have never seen a tortoise in the flesh and I am sure they would love to see them up close but you just can't take the chance
Old 01-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
NATURALIS
Adult

I for one would never have anyone round to see my collection , when im selling hatchlings i meet people away from home , if the buyer dosn't like the idea of buying in a car park etc then tuff , i would sooner lose the sale than risk taking the chance, lets face it you don't know these people ,my first tortoise i had from 1974 was stolen in the early 1990's because i trusted people. It would be really nice to be able to show off and see collection's but i'm afraid those days are long gone, other than a handful of other breeders i wouldn't trust anyone. There are however lot's you can do to safeguard thefts,
1) make sure you have some good pictures of your tortoise both the carapace and plastron , on the back take a note of measurements and weight.
2) Get your tortoise microchipped ( if its large enough ) also make sure the chip is registered and take a note of it and add this to the back of your pictures.
3)Keep the fact that you keep tortoise's to yourself , don't talk to people in your area about what you have got.
4) Make it hard for people to get into your garden .
5) Put up a beware of the guard dog sign on garden gates.
6)If you keep your tortoise outside make sure there shed is locked with a small bob hole for them to come and go rather than leaving the door open.
7) Where possible fit alarms to sheds ( these can be bought quite cheaply ).
8) install cctv ( this to is quite cheap these days ).
9) When selling hatchlings you have bred cover up your address before copying the a10, defra have no problem with this.
These are just a few idea's that i use , even when out picking weeds if i'm stopped i always say there for a rabbit.

Last edited by NATURALIS; 01-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
Easter Bunny
Adult

I think having an alarm on the tortoises houses if they are kept out in the garden and also cctv. Think it would be money well spent.

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
I for one would never have anyone round to see my collection , when im selling hatchlings i meet people away from home , if the buyer dosn't like the idea of buying in a car park etc then tuff , i would sooner lose the sale than risk taking the chance, lets face it you don't know these people ,my first tortoise i had from 1974 was stolen in the early 1990's because i trusted people. It would be really nice to be able to show off and see collection's but i'm afraid those days are long gone, other than a handful of other breeders i wouldn't trust anyone. There are however lot's you can do to safeguard thefts,
1) make sure you have some good pictures of your tortoise both the carapace and plastron , on the back take a note of measurements and weight.
2) Get your tortoise microchipped ( if its large enough ) also make sure the chip is registered and take a note of it and add this to the back of your pictures.
3)Keep the fact that you keep tortoise's to yourself , don't talk to people in your area about what you have got.
4) Make it hard for people to get into your garden .
5) Put up a beware of the guard dog sign on garden gates.
6)If you keep your tortoise outside make sure there shed is locked with a small bob hole for them to come and go rather than leaving the door open.
7) Where possible fit alarms to sheds ( these can be bought quite cheaply ).
8) install cctv ( this to is quite cheap these days ).
9) When selling hatchlings you have bred cover up your address before copying the a10, defra have no problem with this.
These are just a few idea's that i use , even when out picking weeds if i'm stopped i always say there for a rabbit.
Great advice RFM, thanks for that.
The breeder I got my baby from cut the address off the A10 completely.
The thing that worries me most about others knowing you have torts is not the people you know, it's those that you don't know. Word of mouth is not always a good thing. Someone buys a tort show it to someone else, they ask where you got it, the address is passed on and bingo, all your torts are stolen.

It's a bad mean world out there, trust is an admirable quality but also very foolish.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #16
Pussygalore
Adult

I take it we won't be invited for tea then
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Mrs Frog
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Google maps makes it much easier to nick torts. Anyone can see the layout of your garden and the easiest way to get in just by looking at the sat view of your house on Google.

A few weeks ago two boards were broken on the top of my fence because of someone either trying to get over or actually getting over. my torts weren't out there overnight but that was back in April in the hot weather and they had been out there through the day.

I wouldn't reveal my address or full name on a forum, that's possibly where thieves get their targets from. they can get your address by looking up the BT online phonebook if you give them your name.

BTW, I've no idea if they were after my torts, it could have been anything
I expect they were after you Alan as you are so lovely
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Easter Bunny
Adult

Why are the old adult tortoise worth so much? Is it because alot of babies die or something and don't reach adulthood?

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Stone View Post
I expect they were after you Alan as you are so lovely
ooooo jackie, not as lovely as your good self
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #20