Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 16-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells
Yes Carl te relatives permission still has to be granted even if the donator is a card holder, my family all know my wishes and will be haunted if they didn't carry it out.
This is another reason for the change - even though the deceased carried a card their organs can't be used if the family says no. So the recently bereaved and probably majorly squicked out at the thought of removing parts of their relatives make a quick decision that could've saved lives and effectively go against the persons wishes. With the new rule, one idea is that the deceased decision is honoured every time.

Unless of course it happens all over again in reverse and the deceased has opted out but the family says yes go ahead.. Time will tell!

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
we always need a kick up the backside or wait untill its made a law, thats human nature, most would like to do something about greenhouse gasses, poverty animal welfare but who actually does, so if we can't be bothered to get a card and save other lives whether we want to or have even thought about then changing it so we are automatically a donor has to be the only way, if we have to be nannied and treated like children then so be it, mind you I bet most would get up and vote on X factor or would complain if the local pub was being shut.
I just think its sad that half the nation are like this. I certainly don't need to be nannied, as I'm sure a lot of others don't, its crap thats we have to be involved in it because of other people who can be arsed to have an input in society.
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #13
Pussygalore
Adult

unfortunatley those that do bother are in the minority. there are far more that don't
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

Yeah, I understand that. It doesn't make it right though, like I explained in my post above
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

all i know is more lifes might be saved by this......thats a good thing.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
swad1000
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
Quote:
Originally Posted by stells
Yes Carl te relatives permission still has to be granted even if the donator is a card holder, my family all know my wishes and will be haunted if they didn't carry it out.
This is another reason for the change - even though the deceased carried a card their organs can't be used if the family says no. So the recently bereaved and probably majorly squicked out at the thought of removing parts of their relatives make a quick decision that could've saved lives and effectively go against the persons wishes. With the new rule, one idea is that the deceased decision is honoured every time.

Unless of course it happens all over again in reverse and the deceased has opted out but the family says yes go ahead.. Time will tell!
My understanding of the new rule(if its made law) is next of kin will still have to be asked and agree, or organs can't be used.

I think opting out will save lots of lives, as long as it isn't changed so you have no choice in the matter, and your organs can be used without anyones consent.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #17
KateW
Incubating

I've always had a donor card and been in favour but recently I've been thinking its a shame the family can't choose who the organs go to. What if there was a paedophile or murderer on the waiting list and they give them my organs. I don't think I'd want that, same if its a drink driver who killed me and ended up with my organs to save them. I wouldn't want that either or a fox hunter or anyone who was cruel to animals. I know the odds are very unlikely but it has made me think this.

Its a shame it can't be guaranteed your organs only go to kids and people without deadly/cruel intentions!

Saying that I will still be carrying my card and you never know if it did go to someone bad my organ may be able to turn them around
Old 16-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
Pussygalore
Adult

I know what you mean I never thought george Best deserved a transplant as he couldn't stop drinking and I'm sure had he not been so famous wouldn't have done, the trouble is where do you draw the line and then theres the human rights issue but if your on death row or life inprisonment etc then no and if we knew where the organ went then theres the people who might want to see that person or think that because they have a part of someone they loved that they think they are the departed person, but I do think that the ones at the top of the waiting lists are those that need them the most we just have to hope that they do stop smoking drinking whatever and make the most of a second chance,
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #19
KateW
Incubating

It would be interesting to meet someone who has been donated an organ and find their opinons out!! HOpefully as you say they would ensure they make the most of it!!
Old 16-01-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
lisa
Hatched

You can't pick and choose it has to be matched so the organ is not rejected and wasted, I agree though George Best should not have been given his transplant then abused it like he did, if you look at the stats thats when the delcine in donors started.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote