Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 19-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
markbigears
Incubating

Default Afternoon all!

Hi all
Well this looks like the place to hang out for all things Tortoise!
Bit of background, wife has bought a tort for our 10 year old for Christmas (his best friend has one, a spur thighed), which is currently residing at the pet shop (a young hermanns, 3 inches). Yes i know, should have gone to a breeder, but too late, money paid. He has a cert, but I haven't seen it yet. Pet shop owner also sold her a vivarium and lights and bits and bobs.
So me being me, started a little research in to whats needed. I know you guys don't like vivariums at all, but I have to work with what I've got at the moment.
Vivarium is the new exo-vivexotic viva plus 4ft, this does have a bit of ventilation top and bottom through the bars at the front and looks like probably the best vivarium out there at the moment? I'm going to return all the kit though and will replace with higher spec. I'll post in another section what i'm thinking of.
Be prepared for lots of questions, at least I've a few months before I pick him up so can get everything sorted in the meanwhile. Thanks for reading! Mark
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Welcome Mark ! yes ask away, always nice to hear about set ups etc! pickies always good too. I don't like Vivarium's , but some do and it doesn't mean to say they are wrong though , some don't like table tops (hard to control humidity etc ...) - all about meeting the right needs .....CB
Old 20-10-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. It's correct that on the whole we are not fans of vivs here and I think the main objection is excess humidity. But it doesn't necessarily have to be too humid inside a viv.

If you can offer the tortoise some safe and adequately warm chances to get outside in the so-called summer months then not only will you see the natural behaviour of the tortoise but you will increase its quality of life hugely.

You'll see that we don't agree 100% here, which I think is a good thing!
Old 21-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Stellanne
Hatchling

Welcome to the forum Mark. I am sure you will make good use of the advice here x x x hugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hello Mark and welcome to the forum. This is a great place for asking questions.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
markbigears
Incubating

Thanks for the warm welcome all, Mark
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote