Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 28-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
DizzyCalm
Egg

Smile Hello :D

Why hello there I'm Shell and completely new to the tortoise scene, we hopefully pick up 2 hatchlings the beginning of July to join our family, cause it's not big enough already. We have 6 awesome children range from 16 down to almost 11 months (4 girls 2 boys) and 3 cats. Our tortoise table is almost ready for the hatchlings just need to source the Arcadia d3. We've chosen to go with coco coir subs and am having a hide made to fit our table. I need to write up a list (with pics for the kids) of weeds that are safe to feed them.

Anyway that's us and I will thank you all already as I was reading your advice for a few days before joining up so you've been a great help already x
DizzyCalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hi and a big welcome!
It's great to hear you've been finding the forum useful. You must be looking forward to bringing your Horsfields home next month.
There are plenty of lists about for safe foods for torts. Here's a good starting place and if you're green-fingered you can grow lots of weeds and flowers yourself as food too. http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp

A book that many of us find useful is this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Wild.../dp/0007236840
It can often be found fairly cheaply on Ebay or at The Works and is helpful if you're out and about and find a weed that you're unsure of, especially if it's flowering. The book really helps indentification. Once you've got a few easy ones under your belt such as Cat's Ear, Plantain, Sowthistle, Nipplewort and of course Clover and the odd Dandelion, you'll find you'll soon get the hang of recognising them. I always have a little fold up bag in my handbag that I can whip out and fill with weeds.

Any questions, just ask. There's usually someone about to offer advice.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Wyannis
Hatchling

Hi and welcome to the forum! Sounds like there will always be plenty going on in your house. I'm sure the kids will enjoy weed picking. They will all be gardening experts in a few months time.
Wyannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Daryn
Hatchling

Hi and welcome to SW

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Stellanne
Hatchling

Welcome to Shelled Warriors, x x xStella x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Welcome Shell and I hope you'll keep us posted on how you get on with your new pets when they arrive.

Jonathan
Old 04-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
DizzyCalm
Egg

Wow thanks for the welcome the plants are the only thing that worries me as I know some are very bad for them and I'm scared of getting them wrong
Unfortunately we had to put one of our cats to sleep yesterday after xrays revealed she had bone cancer so we are down to 2 cats which is very strange and upsetting. So hoping the hermanns take the kids minds off the loss a little.

Thanks again for the warm welcome x
DizzyCalm is offline   Reply With Quote