Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #31
TortBabe
Adult

My garden was broken into last year and I remain convinced that they were after the torts I never have them out when I'm not home, unfortunately my garden would be very easy to get into from several directions. Its a shame, and whilst I live in a lovely street with wonderful neighbours, I'm all too aware that there are people a few streets away that would have the eyes out of your head given the chance. Its such a shame, my meds should be out overnight but I just daren't take that chance better safe than sorry. I do plan to get alarms and cctv though at some point in the future
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #32
emma_mcraf
Adult

Only my very closest friends know that we have tortoises. I don't post photos of them anywhere other than here and if we're going out, I bring them back indoors. It only takes a dodgy delivery driver leaving something in the back garden to help himself.....(no offence to any delivery drivers on here! )

However, I did love going to collect them from the breeder. It was great to meet the parents and see the other hatchlings. I was reassured that the breeder was reputable and I'll remain in contact with her. We actually drove for 2.5 hours to ensure we bought the hatchlings from someone I considered reputable.

Our torts are very much part of the family and irreplaceable, so my heart goes out to those who have thefts.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #33
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

we have a doorbell that barks but it only barks when someone along the doors presses their car remote locking sometimes , I was thinking though that it would be handy if you had a sensor outside that could trigger the barking.. or maybe such a thing is on the market already, never seen one though, only the lights and cat scarers that don't bark
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #34
pagan queen
Adult

My mum and dad have something that turns the radio on via a sensor. The set it to a channel with just talking when they go out. If someone tries their back door the radio comes on. I'll have to find out what it is.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I suppose if it was barking in the middle of the night you wouldn't be too popular. perhaps a cage that came down to trap them would do
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #36
Easter Bunny
Adult

My garden is quite secure. I have no side or back entrance. There are gardens at the back who also do not have side entrances.

I also have a good guard dog, my boxer Bonnie she doesn't like strangers walking past the house and especially walking up the drive she goes mad, throws herself at the front door growling and barking. She is down at the vets as a dangerous dog as she did actually bite the vet. She's not dangerous just scared really.lol
She also won't let anyone stroke her if i'm walking her she gives a little rumble growl to say 'don't touch me'.

Think she had a bad start in life. her tail was docked (ileagally) and she has had several operations, shes got a big lump and scar on the top of her head. So she is just nervous really.

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #37
Box girl
Sub Adult

We have a very secure garden all torts are locked in at night and it is impossible to get from the front to the back of the house without going through the house.
The biggest thing is we have CCTV on the front and back of the house covering anyone coming up the drive and the tort sheds.
I also try not to let people know the closer area where we live.

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote