Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Geomyda
Adult

Default The BCG

Have you noticed that all reference to the 2009 Conservation appeal has disappeared, not only from the Newsletter, but recently also the BCG web site?

Last edited by egyptiandan64; 03-04-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
EJ
Adult

I haven't noticed but haven't been really looking.

So they realized they had either made a mistake or realized that it wasn't worth the hassle to deal with.

This kind of brings to mind another group hounding a petstore chain about some of their products and practices... end result... the chain pulled the product.

There is a paralell and a similar net result... a select few dictate what choices we have to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
Have you noticed that all reference to the 2009 Conservation appeal has disappeared, not only from the Newsletter, but recently also the BCG web site?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I haven't noticed but haven't been really looking.

So they realized they had either made a mistake or realized that it wasn't worth the hassle to deal with.

This kind of brings to mind another group hounding a petstore chain about some of their products and practices... end result... the chain pulled the product.

There is a paralell and a similar net result... a select few dictate what choices we have to make.
Thanks ed for your valued input. The first sentence says it all.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
EJ
Adult

There's really no point in looking. There was obviously an agenda involved in the witch-hunt and BCG was smart enough to remove the fuel.

Oh... many do see my input as a value... which is why I persist. Someone's gotta speak up for the silent majority.

Quote:
Thanks ed for your valued input. The first sentence says it all.
and
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
There's really no point in looking. There was obviously an agenda involved in the witch-hunt and BCG was smart enough to remove the fuel.

Oh... many do see my input as a value... which is why I persist. Someone's gotta speak up for the silent majority.

I have no problem with your point of view, but as for speaking for a silent majority, Ed I do think that that is a bit off the mark!
Maybe you and your majority, should consider the point here?
Why should a statement made by the Chairman and his Deputy simply disappear, especially as it gave a pledge to the membership to keep them informed on developments in this rather contentious conservation appeal. Afterall, it was due to recieve several £000's of group funds in 2009!!
If it were merely a Witch hunt, I might have considered posting this question last Saturday?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

Paul... enjoy your quest. It seems to give you a good amount of pleasure.

Quote:
I have no problem with your point of view, but as for speaking for a silent majority, Ed I do think that that is a bit off the mark!
Maybe you and your majority, should consider the point here?
Why should a statement made by the Chairman and his Deputy simply disappear, especially as it gave a pledge to the membership to keep them informed on developments in this rather contentious conservation appeal. Afterall, it was due to recieve several £000's of group funds in 2009!!
If it were merely a Witch hunt, I might have considered posting this question last Saturday?
and
Old 21-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

Don't misunderstand what this conversation is about. The BCG is a fantastic organization run by very dedicated people.

The problem is that the BCG got caught up in an unpleasant situation. If the BCG had better communication... it's name probably would not have been tainted.

Again... the donation to the organization in the EU was well intended but a pretty big mistake which could have easily been avoided with proper communication. That's pretty much the gist of this particular conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayne2942 View Post
i have been to one of the BCG pre hibernation weight check at cannon hill park Birmingham when i first had my tort they gave me lots of great advice,reall enjoyed visit.
and
Old 22-12-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
romski
Incubating

Guys I have gone back and looked at whats been written here. I think that those that have posted have done a remarkable thing here.

We in the BCG had an issue - one that solicited support from the whole chelonian community. There are as you know many forums for us hobbyists. In this instance all the forums have linked and produced a thread where the debate has been informative, articulate, honest and with not too much crusading. Where we have gone off track one or other of us has redirected. No one has been rude to other posters.

Not one participating forum has found need for editorial control and each seems to have been supportive of the other. I think thats a first and those of us trying to do justice thank you.

TerrapinTank
Tortoise Trust
RFUK
Shelled Warrior

Thanks
Rom
Old 23-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
EJ
Adult

Rom, I hesitate to say this... not really... but... I suspect not many actually have an idea of what this is about. I don't know about other forums but on this one there folks adding input is extremely limited. We all do agree on the main problem. I'm curious as how this can be corrected.

I'd like to ask anyone who is a member of the BCG to offer any input as to what they think can be done keeping in mind that we are talking about the communication network within the BCG.

What Rom pointed out is what will facilitate change but that change cannot come about without participation which is the bane of every special interest club/organization

Quote:
Originally Posted by romski View Post
Guys I have gone back and looked at whats been written here. I think that those that have posted have done a remarkable thing here.

We in the BCG had an issue - one that solicited support from the whole chelonian community. There are as you know many forums for us hobbyists. In this instance all the forums have linked and produced a thread where the debate has been informative, articulate, honest and with not too much crusading. Where we have gone off track one or other of us has redirected. No one has been rude to other posters.

Not one participating forum has found need for editorial control and each seems to have been supportive of the other. I think thats a first and those of us trying to do justice thank you.

TerrapinTank
Tortoise Trust
RFUK
Shelled Warrior

Thanks
Rom
and
Old 23-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Rom, I hesitate to say this... not really... but... I suspect not many actually have an idea of what this is about. I don't know about other forums but on this one there folks adding input is extremely limited. We all do agree on the main problem. I'm curious as how this can be corrected.

I'd like to ask anyone who is a member of the BCG to offer any input as to what they think can be done keeping in mind that we are talking about the communication network within the BCG.

What Rom pointed out is what will facilitate change but that change cannot come about without participation which is the bane of every special interest club/organization

Ok - I am a proud member of the BCG and would like:

1. A BCG Forum where you can chat and have debates where all the Committee add their wealth of knowledge and support; a Forum that allows you the freedom of speech within the guidelines/respect it lays down

2. Freedom of speech where members do not fear being ‘thrown out’ for questioning or for standing up for what they believe in (members should still show respect etc)

3. Committee members hold a set (maximum) term of office and others then stand for the post and are elected that way, rather than one person having Yes/No votes without an alternative candidate

4. Members vote from several choices for the Conservation Project for the year, so all agree where the funds go

5. The Web Page history should stay and never be deleted, this is the history of the BCG and no matter what transpires it should not be hidden from members

6. More support for UK projects, as some get turned down through ‘personal choice’ that could provide help and improve the welfare of Chelonia (is that not our main aim)

7. Once a year the Membership Secretary sends out a flyer produced by the person running a Regional Group/Informal Regional Group to all the members in a Regional/Informal Regional Groups area so that those living in that area know what their local BCG Group are doing and can be involved.