Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 26-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
DAISY
Adult

Default Is it just me

Is it just me, but as soon as people find out you are an animal lover do they try to palm their unwanted pets off on you. I trawl round the local pet shops regulary buying supplies for my animal family and as soon as people see you loaded up (I seem to spend a fortune) thay start making comments at the checkout and I regulary get serious offers of pets they no longer want. It makes me feel very sad for these poor animals who can be so easily discarded and more than once I have taken a persons number and found a home for their animal. Now Ive found it doesnt stop at the pet shop. In a DIY store today trying to buy animal safe wood stain for my chipmunks new cage an assistant offerd me her 3 bunnies as no one was caring for them properly. It makes me mad.I have never owned an animal I didnt keep for the duration of its life, and cant understand it. Ok sometimes personal circumstances mean having to give up a pet, but just cos you are bored with it! Sorry rant over.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i completey agree with you. I have the same thing. i keep all my epts for life aprat from the offspring from my adults but i always make sur ei have a target aduience before breeding them. only a week ago i had two new snakes as the owner cud not be bothered with them and wanted a wii console.

i have a few people e-mailing me from other forums i am members of offering me animals for free....they have enver even met me in real life but they are willignt o trust me.

don't buy them if u ani't gonna look after them.
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
babybee
Egg

Rach, you truly are not alone.

Once people know you love animals you are an automatic rehoming centre if you are a soft touch like me.

2 years ago i was down to my last very elderly (7years old guineapig) who had recently lost his last best buddy and was idagnosed with cancer, which was successfully removed. I decided that he would be best for what we thought wa shis last couple of months by himself as i didn't want to get involved in the cycle again.

However, things never work out quite that way.
I shop in a pet store that doesn't sell animals, deliberately so. Overheard conversation about woman wanting rid of her male lonely guinea. I agreed to take him. Then a week later neighbour comes home with 4 mange ridden piggies from a horse fayre thatwere destined to be ferret fun and she thought i would like them! Then start new job at school and dinner lady wants rid of her 2 guineas. Long story short i now have 14 of the squeakers!!!

Also got 4 rabbits in similar ways.

My number one culprit though is my vet. He is such a softy he takes in everything and invariably passes the small furies to me. I have had several hamsters, guinea pig and rabbit from him.

I know what it is like to be a sucker and i am amazed that people can dispose of their pets as unwanted accessories. But i feel happy knowing that we are doing a good job.

You should be pleased with yourself.
babybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
geordie mark
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to geordie mark

its shoicking too think that really it hasnt personally happened too me but if people wanted too give me a lizard / tortoise or whatever and i wanted one ide feel obliged too take it ! lol

T.H.Hercegvenensis 1.0.0
S.P. Babcocki 0.1.0
Chelonoidis Carbonaria 0.1.0 (My Parents)
West Highland White Terrier 1.0.0
Scottish Terrier 1.0.0
geordie mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
DAISY
Adult

I wish I could say I'd personaly take them all, that way I'd know they were ok but I have to be practical. As it is I spend all my time running round after my own kids, other peoples kids that I always seem to end up with and my animals. And I dont have a quarter of what some people on here have. I,m lucky in that I have a husband who lets me do anything I want, and encourages me to take on whatever pets I want as he knows it makes me happy but I do know my limits. Everyone else thinks I'm mad but I love it. Wanted to be a zoo keeper when I was little. I just wish I had the time to take on everyones unwanteds. Before I had my girls I could never say no. As I said these people make me really sad, as far as I am concerned they are family members.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
TortMad
Adult

You are definately not alone

I have been brought up with animals of all discriptions. It was not unusual to open our front door to find some one stood on the doorstep with a card board box with a budgie, rabbit, ferret. You name it some one has given it us to care for.

I have never had an animal I haven't had for the rest of its life, I am far too sentimental to ever part with them as quite frankly they are part of my family. They are my children

Im still regulary asked, wish I could take em in but I must put the care of the pets I already have first.

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 11:59 PM   #7
phoenix
Hatched

i'm known locally for my rescue work, which i've been doing for 10years now, and i often find a rescue space or help strangers through the teenage stage thier puppy is going through, often ive found a knock at the door is someone with a baby shrew, vole or hedghog that needs handrearing
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote