Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 26-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #41
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Nots sure, i will keep and eye on weight at nipple growth. She is sitting on my knee now as i type!!!

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #42
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

well gd luck
shootinglou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #43
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Well i have had to take her out of spikes cage tonight as she was sitting in teh corner trying to dig her way out. I have put her in her own cage and asked on one of the yahoo forums about this behaviour, she has probably had enough of my male.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #44
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

maybe a couple of days (intervels) is enough every week or so untill you know she is definitely with spike(pregnant) so to speak lol, or maybe she's just wanting a break, but it will be great when the time comes when you have a tiny litter of hogs, and great to see what colours they turn out to be, as they both have lovely colourings
Old 27-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #45
Becks
Adult

found this
Reproduction
A male courts a female by running in circles around her, twittering, growling and snorting. She may initially ignore him, hiss and snort at him, run away, or curl into a defensive ball. The male persists, and the female eventually positions herself with her rear legs stretched back and her spines flattened. The male has an extra-long penis, so he can avoid being impaled on the female's spines. During copulation he secretes a waxy plug that prevents other males mating with her. After a gestation of 30-40 days, two to 10 young are born. The mother licks them clean and eats the afterbirth, then picks them up in her mouth and guides them to her teats. Newborns are blind, weigh about 0.35 ounces (10 g), and have soft, white spines at birth. Born with edema, their skin is swollen with fluid and covers the soft spines. After a few days, the young reabsorb the excess fluid, exposing the spines. Their eyes open in eight to 18 days. At two weeks they can roll up, and after about six weeks start traveling short distances with their mother. Nursing stops at 40-45 days, and they leave their mother and siblings shortly thereafter. They reach sexual maturity at about 2 months of age.

luv becks xxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #46
Becks
Adult

i also found this on reading up on these lovely little hogs on the net as im trying to learn about them myself as i get ready for my baby ..
hopefully picking him up saturday ...
luv becks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hedgehog gestation is 35-37 days (sometimes up to 45 days even). Females under stress will eat their hoglets. Litters are 1 to 7 (normally 3 to 5) with rarely up to 10 hoglets. Babies do not open their eyes for 2.5 to 3 weeks but are weaned by six weeks and should be then separated (it is ok to keep females together if they get along). Never breed a female hedgehog after she is 18 months old as by then, her pelvic bones will fuse. This means that if she needs to deliver, and her bones are fused, she will die without a Cesarean section as the babies will not fit to get out. The same thing happens with guinea pig sows. Also, female hedgehogs may develop infections after giving birth so if they do not seem well, take them to a qualified vet. Ill females usually kill the babies but so do healthy ones! Hedgehog sows lose interest (they do not get pregnant or eat the babies) in raising hoglets as they approach 3-4 years old.

map turtle .

Old 27-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #47
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi guy's, I know it's not quite the same but looking out f the bedroom window before coming on linr late tonight i saw a wild hedgehog scampering accross the road, so i got him into a washing up bowl and brought him into my back garden which has got a few good bushes and hardy fuscias everywhere for him to hide in. I even went looking for slugs and snails for him. How sad eh!

I am really hoping that he is happy in my back garden and decides to stay I have 8 ft high block walls around the back garden but he might make his way out to the front where the gate is, altough I have it closed at night he might still be able to get through it.

They are such lovely creatures and it saddens me when I see them squashed on the road thats why I brought him in as I seen him crossing the road.

By the way Sarah and Andy Mrs Spike is lovely, and Mr Spike too.

Ade.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #48
Becks
Adult

some gd info on here also sarah
luv becks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/89/40/

map turtle .

Old 27-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #49
shootinglou79
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire_Ade
Hi guy's, I know it's not quite the same but looking out f the bedroom window before coming on linr late tonight i saw a wild hedgehog scampering accross the road, so i got him into a washing up bowl and brought him into my back garden which has got a few good bushes and hardy fuscias everywhere for him to hide in. I even went looking for slugs and snails for him. How sad eh!

I am really hoping that he is happy in my back garden and decides to stay I have 8 ft high block walls around the back garden but he might make his way out to the front where the gate is, altough I have it closed at night he might still be able to get through it.

They are such lovely creatures and it saddens me when I see them squashed on the road thats why I brought him in as I seen him crossing the road.

By the way Sarah and Andy Mrs Spike is lovely, and Mr Spike too.

Ade.

hi ade, iv had a wild hedgehog family (3 in total, one being a couple of yr old now) for about 5 yrs, iv fed them every year, but iv recentley moved home, (only over the back, which shares the same backs) so you never know, might still have the family as know one else seems to bother with them(feed them ) ,,,, but this hedgy you have tried rehoming (bless ya) might and possibly has a family of its own ade, so you might find it pinchng your food and buggering of to provide for its own family, keep us posted
Old 27-07-2006, 01:09 AM   #50
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Well, i have shown Hedgy that i have a lovely safe garden for hiding in, he or she is free to come and go not stopping him or her from doing that, and is welcome to bring as many of his or her family and friends to stay in it as long as they want. I think they are lovely and cute creatures. And thats the first live one I have seen around for a very long time.

Hopefully I will see him or her again and try and get some pics, quite a large specimen, was about 10 inches round in a curled up spikey ball.lol

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote