Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 27-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
Pussygalore
Adult

eskimo, if you have your insulation well done the shed should be cooler in the summer than outside as the insulation works both ways, keeping warmth in and hot air out.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
eskimo, if you have your insulation well done the shed should be cooler in the summer than outside as the insulation works both ways, keeping warmth in and hot air out.
Good point Ann... Means I can seal the window any way I like as I wont need to open it in the summer

Heading to the shops with the wonderful Sammy tomorrow to check out wood, insulation and boards etc while we're getting new bits for our tables

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #23
Sammysale
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
Good point Ann... Means I can seal the window any way I like as I wont need to open it in the summer

Heading to the shops with the wonderful Sammy tomorrow to check out wood, insulation and boards etc while we're getting new bits for our tables
Haha!! Thanks sis haven't been on here for so long but will post some pics tomorrow evening of Athena and Xena's newly cleaned table plus some of your little ones, as I'm sure I'll have my camera at the ready
1.0.0 dog,
0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri.
Sammysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #24
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

We now have a possible dilemma... After all my careful planning, costing and amazing sketches lol

We have the opportunity to buy the piece of land just behind the outhouse/shed. It's about the same size as the shed. Having this would mean we could dismantle the building, with it's less than perfect roof, airbricks, large window and extra door, and start again from scratch, choosing the dimensions, flooring, electric and ventilation etc to be as ideal as possible.

This would also mean I can build up the flower bed mentioned earlier right up against the building so a hatch can go from outside enclosure to the inside... This doesn't ruin my "it'll make an ideal office space" for any future occupants either as it could either be blocked off or made into a cat flap (this village is FULL of cat people! lol)

There's not really any delay in progress as I couldn't start until the warmer weather anyway as the insulation would end up damp if I built now. It will take longer to build but it'll look better and suit it's purpose perfectly. The neighbour who currently owns the land not only doesn't use it but can't build on it as any new building would touch our wall and it legally can't (I checked!) so he could only build something tiny and useless. He also has a shed full of loft insulation and chipboard which he asked if I would like.... Result!!

So for now it's back to the drawing board but I'm MORE excited if anything lol

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote