Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
pawsplus
Hatched

Default Guess who's at work with me?

Beasley of course! My sis-in-law teaches preschool and I usually take Beas to visit her class every year. She's a great teacher, so the kids are very well-behaved for 4 year olds and they follow the rules I set them very well. You'd think Beas would be stressed out, but I wouldn't do it if she were -- she's SO confident it's ridiculous! The kids sit in a circl on the carpet and Beasley walks around the circle as they pet her shell (gently, 2 fingers only). She never gets scared and seems to actually enjoy it! She ate a piece of melon, much to their delight.

I live so far from town that there is no way for me to take her home afterwards and still work, so she came into work w/ me. Not thrilled to be in a 2x3 foot box, but she has a light and a hide area, and at lunch we'll take her out for a hike on campus. It's probably not her favorite day, but I figure she's doing a public service for tortoises and turtles everywhere by helping educate kids. We talked about rescuing box turtles off the road, about how redfoots are eaten by human beings in their native land, etc. Hopefully we did some good as well as giving the kids a thrill. And I figure that if Beasley hated it, she'd go into her shell and sulk. Instead, she marches around greeting everyone like the Official Tortoise Ambassador!
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Blaze
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Blaze

Aww! Beasley is such a star!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thats great. I work in a special need school and offen do whole school assemblys. Its a bit nerve racking doing it in front of 200 people, but you are educating the younger generation.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

Thats great
Beasley the star!!

I work in a school too, but would have to put half my kids in straightjackets if i took the torts in lol.

Wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Bless Beasley she is a true star!!! I bet all the children just adored her
Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
pawsplus
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzywend
I work in a school too, but would have to put half my kids in straightjackets if i took the torts in lol.
I'm telling you -- I am always impressed. My SIL is great w/ them. Her 2 rules were low voices and butts stay on the carpet--no scooting. My rules were pet w/ 2 fingers only, only 1 kid petting at a time, no petting on the head. ONCE one little boy got excited and got loud, and I just picked Beas up and said, "Uh oh! Beasley doesn't like loud voices!" He clammed right up, I put her back down and he petted her gently.

I will point out that this is a pretty exclusive preschool--i.e., mostly rich kids of well-educated parents. So that does skew the population a bit. I wouldn't take Beas just anywhere.

She's napping in her box right now. Earlier today she had a perambulation about the office:

Old 04-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

thats fantastic!!

Well informed future tort keepers there!!

Wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
pawsplus
Hatched

One annoying thing is the number of people who come to my desk, look at Beas and say, "Oh, a box turtle!" Now, I would excuse a non-tort-person in the UK for not knowing the diff, but good grief -- box turtles are ALL OVER the place here and everyone has seen them many times. No excuse!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
pawsplus
Hatched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7okUf_q6dEs

Video of Beas at work today playing w/ a little monkey toy (my co-workers' handiwork).
Old 05-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
Bride2b
Sub Adult

Wow,

She will be in Hollywood next, lol, well done for allowing her to be seen by youngsters who will hopefully grow up with the correct knowledge to love care and protect al tortoises.

Beasley is a real cutie by the way.

Tanya
Bride2b is offline   Reply With Quote