Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 27-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Rory & Gem
Egg

Exclamation health of torts in shop

Hello all

so I went down to a local pet shop near where i live with my little sister to look at all the torts and stuff, a lot of the little guys there are not being looked after at all. There are some hermans there it doesn’t say how old they are but they are listed as breeding hermans and there between 5-8" long and are pyramided. One of them has a beak that in my opinion must prevent the tort of eating ( its so long it goes past his chin) one of them has white dry patches on his shell.

also the baby horsfields and hermans and a few others species look bad too

there all kept in vivs with what they describe as grass pellet tortoise feed as bedding or at least it looked like I wad the bedding, some parts of the vivs you could clearly see the wood at the bottom and all the babies look completely over populated in there environment, there are some torts that have white markings on there shells and a few even had red patching on there shells too. One was quite extensive and he/she didn’t move once in the 25 mins I was there even when other torts were climbing over him/her

All had dirty water dishes that had clearly not been cleaned but just topped up. Most of which also had what may be poop or bedding in them. All are being fed on cauliflower broccoli and bagged lettuce and the multi coloured pellets, the shop doesn’t sell any form of cuttle fish or limestone flour or vitamin boosting stuff so I doubt they receive any of that either

i was going to complain but all the staff there look quite young and i felt as it would fall on cloth ears so to speak. they do have a sign hanging on one of the vivs that says " if you wish to talk about the way we house our animals please feel free to chat to us about it". pretty much everything i have read not to do on this site is being done.

is there anywhere I could complain or notify to the bad care these guys are receiving ?

Rory
Rory & Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
n236kfl
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to n236kfl

i take it that you live in northamptonshire, if so try this to start with

http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/contact_us/471.htm

also try the RSPCA
Horsefields :Rosy, Jim
Sulcata :Mable
Yeman Chameleon :Olly
Bearded Dragons :Harry, Sally (+ lots of babies)
Water Dragon :Emerald
Green Tree Skink
web site www.reptileplanet.co.uk (internet explorer)
n236kfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
anna m
Adult

I'm not sure where or who you could complain to (RSPCA?) but this does not sound good care at all. Probably the worst I have heard off actually. Really not a good example for the public either. Others on here will know what to do I'm sure.
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
sky
Adult

Try the Tortoise Trust they may send some information leaflets out.
1 grumpy husband
sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
ingisim
Hatched

How very upsetting for you and your sister.

I agree that the Tortoise Trust would be the best ones to contact about this. The RSPCA don't as a rule know much about reptiles and their needs.

Two kids, two cats - Herbie Hermann arrived 28th October 2008
ingisim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Hilary
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by n236kfl View Post
i take it that you live in northamptonshire, if so try this to start with

http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/contact_us/471.htm

also try the RSPCA
Definitely the council contact address above. Possibly even if you go on the council website you will find the EPD direct contact number (Environmental Protection Dept). Specifically it will be the licensing unit who deal with the licensing of pet shops (along with animal breeders and animal boarders too).

They will/should send someone out to check the premises to make sure that the animals are correctly housed/looked after.
That's what we do up here in the frozen north. We have our own vet who works for the dept & he does the site visits.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Rory & Gem
Egg

great stuff all,

i cant access these sites from work so i will do it from home when i get back today

just seenign these little guys made me want to buy them all as no one or nothing deserves to live in thoes conditions.

hopefully the council will do something about it.

thanks
Old 27-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

They might not do anything about it if they had only one complaint but if they had quite a lot of complaints they might

I don't think it would just be people who lived there that would be able to complain, anyone could
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

it sounds very cruel. i really hope you can report these people. Let us know how you get on. Poor little torts. xx
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Rory & Gem
Egg

the thing that worried me the most is that places like this offer buyers advice, going by there advice will end up in lots of misrable pets and large vet bills. thats the scariest thing about these circumstances imo

i will 100% complain when i get home. part of me really wants to get my tort from there to give it a better life, but on the other hand i dont want to take on a imported/ poorly tort i wont be able to make better never having looked after one b4

one of the many, many reasons im getting a tort is so i know with the right care and love i wont have to go thru loosing a pet as its not nice at all. plus there damn cute and really interesting..