Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 23-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Rory & Gem
Egg

Default hello all, im a newbie here :)

hello all

firstly id just like to say i found this forum last night and i have been reading this forum all day(thank god it isnt blocked at my workplace he he !) and there are some awsome pics and info here and everyone seems really nice !

me and my partner are going to become the proud parents of 2 torts end of march, and after reading hear i have decided against getting a Viv for them and will make my own tort table

since this is our 1st time there are some questions i would like to ask.

1. table size
  2. bedding/flooring/base layer
  3. equipment list

1. what sort of size should i aim for housing 2x 0 - 12 month old horsfields?

2. is top soil sutable for baby horsfields ? should i use hay and soil ? what should i use for the bedding area i see a lot of indoor tables setups that use soil sand and hay?

where is the best places or good places to get these items ? i see a lot of B&Q on here but where do i find hay and grass ?

3. so far i have these items in mind for the electrical stuff,
  • mega ray 100w heat/UV bulb
  • light fixing/ holder ( should i use the more narrow ones or a wide pan type one?)
  • hygrometer

anything else i will need ? or must have's ?

few other things that will help u guys help me is that our house is an old cottage type building so it can be quite cold in there ( no clue about the summer only been here since november 08) anything i should keep in mind with this cold house ? no central heating only a gas fire in the living room.

the place where i will get my tortoise knew a lot of stuff and sounded legit but one thing the lady in the shop told me sounded slightly odd. she told me i wouldnt have to hibernate them unless i wanted to breed them? that sounds strange to me but everything else she said was spot on. hibernation is one of the things that worries me the most tbh.

we are both excited and i really am getting hyper here at my desk i want to start building asap .

im so excited i think im already an addict.
Rory & Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Hello from me.

Well it sounds like your well on the way to an ideal setup for a young tortoise or two. The megaray is a combined heat and UV lamp (the best one in my opinion) so thats that covered.

I'd recommend a good max/min thermometer so you can measure the temperatures within the tortoise table. You want to be aiming for 31-33 degrees C under the lamp and and 20-22C in the cooler end. This gives them the chance to thermoregulate by moving between the different temps.

I think purely top soil would be an ideal substrate for small Horsfields. They will love to burrow into it so it would need to be a mimimum of 10CM's deep. You can pile it up in hides as well. I also use a product called Readigrass (dried meadow grasses) that you can get from horse supply places. My Hermann's tortoises love it. They do eat it too and Horsfields are notoriously greedy but it has little or no nutritional value and is quite safe.

As for the table size, the bigger the better really but I'd probably have a 4ft X 2ft for two small tortoises.

A water dish, some "furniture" (hides, logs and a piece of slate for basking and feeding them on) and your well on your way. Have a look in the "endoor enclosures" thread in the housing section for some set up ideas too

Good luck

Last edited by Kirkie; 23-02-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Paulg1
Adult

hi from me too. Dave's got you on your way. Anything else, just ask.

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"
Paulg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
tortoise lover
Hatchling

Hi dont forget your vitamins and calcium powder to sprinkle on there weeds ie nutrobal and limestone powder,you can order them from the shelled warriors shop, and good luck with your tortoises,i have 2 horsfields aged 3 and 6 years. You will also need something to bath them both in,you will need something that they cant see out of,i use a litter tray which is ideal and bath them in lukewarm water regularly
tortoise lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
cazzykins
Hatched

Heya and welcome! You sound just like me, I'm v excited about getting my horsfield in 2 weeks! Kirky, as usual, covered pretty much everything I think. Have a look around the SW shop, lots of ideas in there.
Supliments, limestone flour ect is needed.
Brought some top soil yesterday from b&q, and sand from argos, a few quid each.
I brought a min/max thermometer from boots (£10) in advance to measure what temp it drops to a night, aslong as it stays above i've heard about 10-15'c ish you'l be okay.
Regarding the hibernating, i think everyone has different views on here about it. I don't think it's right not to hibernate, as it's a natural thing for them to do (just my personal opinoin!). But you wont need to think about it for quite a few months, so dont worry too much about it now I'd say.
Have you thought about diet? Growing weeds ect... Best to start in advance, especially rubbish gardeners like me!

Hope I've helped! Post any questions you need, lots of tort clever people on here
Caz x
cazzykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
kazzie
Incubating

Hi, i'm a newbie as well and the advice i have been given has been fantastic.
kazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Hello and welcome to the mad world of tort keeping
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
Lolly8
Adult

Hi and welcome from me!
Old 24-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Hello, if you are getting a Megaray bulb http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...ted-p-143.html

you will need this sort of style of lamp (but doesn't have to be that one, just that type of thing) http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...amp-p-167.html
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
Rory & Gem
Egg

Thanks everyone !!

ill be going out this weekend to get all the stuff i need and then tortoise come end of march !!

ill upoload some pics of my table when its all done and thanks again for the advice
Rory & Gem is offline   Reply With Quote