Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 10:56 PM   #561
Gordon
Adult

Major update this afternoon.
I have been on a ward with four nice people for a change and my youngest daughter millie and her indoors were visiting when out of the blue a group of nurses appeared and literally frog marched me out on my bed into a side room and I asked several times as to why to which I didn't get a straight answer till in side room with the door shut and guess what.

I NOW HAVE BLOOMING MRSA FFS. SORRY FOR THE USE OF CAPITALS BUT OCCASIONALLY I NEED TO SHOUT IT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER.ok better now. So I'm now totally infectious and feel confused as I feel that wasn't the best was to go about it even one of the chaps said are you coming back to which is said no idea.
I know it's not the end of the world but I now have 101 questions I need answers to so have asked to see my surgeon tomorrow.
I dont mind saying I'm now feeling really low and have cried several times since which wasn't a nice thing for a man to do in front of his daughter.
I'm feeling ok now it was all just a shock as it happened so quickly what will go wrong next bring it on I say I'm not going to let it beat me.
Is there ever going to be an end to this I wonder.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:12 PM   #562
tortydat
Sub Adult

Yes of course it's going to end and in a good way but it really is about time that your surgeon gives you a straight answer about what infection you have, where it came from and what he and his team are going to do about it. In the meantime I hope that you manage to get some sleep in your little isolation room and hopefully I will catch up with you tomorrow. xx
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:25 PM   #563
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Major update this afternoon.
I have been on a ward with four nice people for a change and my youngest daughter millie and her indoors were visiting when out of the blue a group of nurses appeared and literally frog marched me out on my bed into a side room and I asked several times as to why to which I didn't get a straight answer till in side room with the door shut and guess what.

I NOW HAVE BLOOMING MRSA FFS. SORRY FOR THE USE OF CAPITALS BUT OCCASIONALLY I NEED TO SHOUT IT MAKES ME FEEL BETTER.ok better now. So I'm now totally infectious and feel confused as I feel that wasn't the best was to go about it even one of the chaps said are you coming back to which is said no idea.
I know it's not the end of the world but I now have 101 questions I need answers to so have asked to see my surgeon tomorrow.
I dont mind saying I'm now feeling really low and have cried several times since which wasn't a nice thing for a man to do in front of his daughter.
I'm feeling ok now it was all just a shock as it happened so quickly what will go wrong next bring it on I say I'm not going to let it beat me.
Is there ever going to be an end to this I wonder.
Gordon, you’re right - this is NOT going to beat you. Any infections you have picked up have been picked up from the time you have spent in hospital. It’s not your fault and to have treated you so abominably in front of the other patients, Mel and Millie, is disgraceful.
You know I’ve mentioned PALS to you before, but if ever there was a time to complain, this is it.
When you mentioned the deep clean in the theatre I did think of MRSA but usually they swab anyone who comes in for anything, whether inpatient or just in A&E, so presumably they didn’t do this? If that is the case, they’re in the wrong and even if they did, they’re still in the wrong for not quarantining you but putting you on a ward with other patients.
Only real men cry and I have more respect for men that can show their emotions than those who try to put a face on all the time. Millie will understand and she’s old enough to realise how much pressure you’re under with the things you have going on in your life.
I hope you get some answers tomorrow and what this means going forward.
Try and get some sleep tonight. Ask for sleeping tablets if you can. Don’t know if they still do it but Mogadon was the best one I knew of having a nurse in the home growing up. A decent night’s rest will leave you feeling more together and ready to fire your 101 questions tomorrow and demand the answers.

There WILL be an end to this. Everyone here is supporting you and thinking of you all the time, willing each operation to be a success, every infection to bugger off and for you to feel better in yourself.
Keep strong. You’ve been a really brave man to put up with this as it has been non-stop so make sure you keep your head as well as you can. Keep talking to us to let off steam. There’s always someone along to listen to your words and offer support. xx

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:48 AM   #564
Gordon
Adult

Well I'm well and truly bored now and have just come out in a very itchy rash have seen a doctor which is quite an amazing thing to do at2.40 am who has checked my drugs chart to make sure I haven't had something with penicillin in and all good so is getting me some antihistamines. Also I have now developed a pain all across my chest down to the underside of my belly which he thinks is a muscle strain due to me getting up differently due to the wound pain and seems to think it will go quite quickly so has uped my morphine dose. what's going to break next.

Last edited by Gordon; 13-02-2020 at 03:51 AM.
Old 13-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #565
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Well I'm well and truly bored now and have just come out in a very itchy rash have seen a doctor which is quite an amazing thing to do at2.40 am who has checked my drugs chart to make sure I haven't had something with penicillin in and all good so is getting me some antihistamines. Also I have now developed a pain all across my chest down to the underside of my belly which he thinks is a muscle strain due to me getting up differently due to the wound pain and seems to think it will go quite quickly so has uped my morphine dose. what's going to break next.
I’ve had stress rashes before and when I had a CT a few years ago I came out with a reaction to the stuff they injected into me. I found good old calamine was what really helped the itch on top of the antihistamine.
More morphine is good.

Hope they clear the infection soon and you can go home. Nothing worse than being awake through the night in a hospital as the time drags so much! x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 13-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #566
Gordon
Adult

Hi Emma well that's was a night lol I'm still itching but the rash has settled for now I hope. it was amazing how it just in the blink of an eye appeared.
I still have this new pain which has got worse to the point I couldn't get myself upright this morning from even the highest point the head reast will go so I worked out to drop it and get out so far on my side so I can get my legs down and that way I managed to do it.
Even with the uped dose of morphine it has taken the edge of the surgical pain but not touched this muscle or what ever is causing it.
Then just as I came out of my private on suite the one drain bag decided leak everywhere so change of tee shirt shorts and underwear was needed lol and they got the cleaning lady in to mop the floor.

I'm sure if this was a book it would now be two or three copies worth by now it all seems so unbelievable and I'm sure people who read it think the same.
Old 13-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #567
emma_mcraf
Adult

Don’t like the sound of the new pain. I wonder if it’s some kind of inflammation. I had costochondritis last year, which lasted a long time and was agonising. I was prescribed naproxen, which worked wonders. The codeine made me a bit woozy so I didn’t take much of that.
So are they all wearing disposable aprons to come into your room? A member of my family had campylobacter a number of years ago and we had to wear the aprons and sanitise our hands as we came in and left the room.
The amount of leaking drains you’ve had since last spring!
Do you think there’s a chance this MRSA has been lurking all along, causing the infections under the skin that erupt with pus and become nasty abscesses?

Hope you have a better day today. Must be horrible being isolated when you had people to chat to on the ward. Glad the rash has settled. Don’t go scratching it, however tempting.

Old 13-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #568
Gordon
Adult

They dont wear aprons if only in and out but if connecting antibiotics or doing anything else to me they do. They did advise if I have visitors they wear gloves or really give hands a good disinfectant scrub as they leave. This pain thing is odd as as long as I'm led down I cant feel it but as soon as I move boy its uncomfortable.
Old 13-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #569
emma_mcraf
Adult

Hope that they can find the source of the pain and the morphine kicks in and takes the worst of it off. Maybe it is just that you’ve pulled something because of the way you’re moving. Hope it passes soon.
It’s weird that they isolate you and then don’t put on aprons. We had to put one on before visiting and all the staff wore them. You hear of them being so vigilant about MRSA and yet anything you touch could have the infection on it, be it the side of your bed, door handles, taps etc, and the staff don’t take precautions if they come in, even for something minor.

Old 13-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #570
Gordon
Adult

I was a bit surprised and at first was expecting them to all come in fully kitted out a bit like we are all seeing on tv at the moment. But it seems only if actual body touch is made.