Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 01-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Northern Monkey
Egg

Default Is it best to go off the dimming thermostat or the small temperature gage

i'm very very new to this, and the torts were only delivered yesterdy morning. I had spent the previous week trying to get the viv right in terms of temperature etc. They are in an outhouse, which is cold, hence opting for a viv. I have a basking infra red bulb and CHE at either end of the 4' viv. The basking bulb and the CHE are together on an adaptor plugging into the thermostat. The thermostat is set at 32 degrees.

I have a small round thermometer too, and when I place it into the viv, the temperatures are very different to what has been set on the thermostat. The CHE (100 watt) is around 42 degrees and the basking bulb (250 watt) goes round as far as it can, so the temperature is 50+ degrees.

When I put the stars in for the first time yesterday morning, they walked over to the basking bulb, but quickly scooted away when they reached the hot spot, suggesting it was too hot for them.

This morning, I have noticed that the readigrass at the basking bulb end is now brown through burning. I have changed the basking bulb to 150 watt and I have altered the thermostat to just below 27 degrees.

Now, the readings on my small round thermometer gage are CHE area=32 degrees, cool area between CHE & basking=24 degrees and basking area=42 degrees.

The sheer fact that the torts quickly moved away from under the basking light suggested it was too hot for them, but if the thermostat is set at 32 degrees, then this shouldn't be a problem surely?

However, as the thermostat has different readings to that of my thermometer, which am I to believe?

The reptile shop owner, told me the thermostat was the most accurate, but I know that (set at 32 degrees) has burned the readigrass and the torts keep their distance from it.

Help!
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
TillyTortoise
Adult

I'd think that the thermostat is going to be more accurate. Those round thermometers are not very good really.
I suggest you get yourself a digital thermometer, you can pick these up for a few pounds online. A 'point and shoot' infra red thermometers are also very good.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Northern Monkey
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
I'd think that the thermostat is going to be more accurate. Those round thermometers are not very good really.
I suggest you get yourself a digital thermometer, you can pick these up for a few pounds online. A 'point and shoot' infra red thermometers are also very good.
Thanks for this advice ~ I will
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I agree the infra red thermometers are good. They measure the temperature of whatever you point it at. So if it's pointed at the substrate it measures the temperature of that.

I think this is the best way to measure the temperature since it's not really possible to measure the temperature of the air accurately.

The infra red thermometer can also be used to measure the temp of the tortoise.