Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 17-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #11
burnt toast
Adult

I will try and take some pictures of mine. Its not taking the pictures, its uploading on here that's the problem!

Mine are tips at the moment Gordon! Being used to store hides etc.

Only my Hermann's is in use at the moment. My Margie's is in full sun, so has no basking lamps in, very basic with soil floor. I have some up but they are confined to their shed as it would be very cold in greenhouse.

Horses have an "octagonal" greenhouse with twin wall glazing ( I find this a pain, as you can't see through it, so literally have to run up the garden if you want to check on them!) They have a pop hole through to their sleeping area, which is a 2 x 4 very thick box with a tubular heater in but no lamps, as not high enough (their lights are in the greenhouse)

The Hermann greenhouse is divided in two: (hercs/thb) with ramps leading through the rear to seperate sheds (half height). I have lamps in their sheds, but only use them in severe cold. They have tube heaters for overnight & their main basking areas are in the greenhouse under staging which runs the whole length of back wall. Lights hang from the staging (some wooden slats have been removed) I clad all around this staging area with sheets of insulation & wood & have laid sheets of poly carbonate on top of the staging. To let light through but hopefully trap some heat.

I bubble wrapped it this winter & have used lots of offcuts of polycarb anywhere I could to kind of double glaze it! I have a couple of heaters. Although I have been putting the lamp on daily in their shed, they mainly prefer to come out into their greenhouse! I think old hermanns are very hardy!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I posted pictures in another thread somewhere, I'm not sure that I still have the pictures to put on again but I think mine was mostly about how I insulated it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I found a post http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...7&postcount=19

I thought I had put on better ones but can't find them at all
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Taszia
Hatchling

Love all these pictures thank you all so much for your help . They All look so happy x

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #15
Suze65
Adult

Oh I do love both your greenhouses , very jealous . Sandy yours do look very well behaved.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Oh I do love both your greenhouses , very jealous . Sandy yours do look very well behaved.
I took the picture when they were asleep:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #17
Taszia
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Here is a picture of my GH inside.

Can I ask where and what your hanging lamps are please ? I am lookingnfir some new metal hangers

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Old 19-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #18
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taszia View Post
Can I ask where and what your hanging lamps are please ? I am lookingnfir some new metal hangers
I still use combined uv/heat lamps.
When I used to breed tortoises I would have new combined lamps for hatchlings, then when the UV was depleted, I put them outside in the GH as the heat side of the lamps is still good. I dont worry about UV for my adult tortoises outside, as they come and go as they please. Through a gap at the front of the GH. So they get natural UV better than any lamp or bulb:0)
My husband who is an electrical and electronics engineer did the electrics. He ran a plastic casing along the roof of the GH to allow the lamps to hang. And the plugs are just above the V of the front. Then this goes down to a waterproof box. And of course the cable is 18 inchs across our lawn to the house.
I hope you understand this, as I am no electrician:0)
Piglamps make good bulb holders and are reasonable in price.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #19
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
I took the picture when they were asleep:0)
Yes I can see, bless them, but I do love your greenhouse set up.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #20
Taszia
Hatchling

Quote:
I still use combined uv/heat lamps.
When I used to breed tortoises I would have new combined lamps for hatchlings, then when the UV was depleted, I put them outside in the GH as the heat side of the lamps is still good. I dont worry about UV for my adult tortoises outside, as they come and go as they please. Through a gap at the front of the GH. So they get natural UV better than any lamp or bulb:0)
My husband who is an electrical and electronics engineer did the electrics. He ran a plastic casing along the roof of the GH to allow the lamps to hang. And the plugs are just above the V of the front. Then this goes down to a waterproof box. And of course the cable is 18 inchs across our lawn to the house.
I hope you understand this, as I am no electrician:0)
Piglamps make good bulb holders and are reasonable in price.
Brilliant thank you I was planning much the same as use them indoors. Can I ask where you get your metal lamp shades from .?