Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
kezia911
Hatched

Question d3 overdose.....

I've just read an interesting article, suggesting that a tortoise can overdose on d3 and the results mimic sunburn......... is this right? if so perhaps my tort is not suffering with septicemia but has in fact overdosed!
and if it is possible to overdose by supplementing d3 how much is too much?

Last edited by kezia911; 13-03-2011 at 10:24 PM.
kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Balboa
Egg

I don't feel qualified to say yay or nay on it, but I have read some very convincing articles that explain it to be DIFFICULT to overdose on D3. That means it certainly is a possibility, but the risk of too little D3 is greater than the chances of over doing it.
Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezia911 View Post
I've just read an interesting article, suggesting that a tortoise can overdose on d3 and the results mimic sunburn......... is this right? if so perhaps my tort is not suffering with septicemia but has in fact overdosed!
and if it is possible to overdose by supplementing d3 how much is too much?
Have you got a link to the article?

As said above, it is possible but I've never heard of anyone's tort having a D3 overdose. People who shovel Nutrobal onto torts' food may be capable of doing it. Folk tend to ignore the instructions on the tub but even so, I've still never heard of anyone doing it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
kezia911
Hatched

When i find the article again I'll paste in the link x
kezia911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Dazza
Adult

I rescued an iguana a few years back, he was a BIG lizard in a small enclosure and only a T-Rex UV heat for basking, it was also difficult for him to escape that. When i first got him home he would hide from the UV and not bask, choosing to bask under just normal reflector lamps.

Reptiles are great at self regulating UV - its a subject of much debate and research is still going on to understand it better.

darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Very interesting Darren. I have noticed with my torts that they have spells of months at a time of sitting close to being under the lamp then they will have spells of months of sitting much further away (it's not the heat as that is consistently the same). One that has kept away from the lamp for months is now basking close to it and the exact opposite is happening with the other tort. On the occasions when they are in the basking close to the lamp mode they also eat far more and are far more active
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote