Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 17-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Jan W
Sub Adult

Default Housing - glass or polycarbonate

I am thinking of putting a small greenhouse at the end of the tort garden where there is sun most of the day. The current plastic mini greenhouse and polycarbonate lean to is not good enough to leave the torts out overnight, I need better security against predators (and the weather).

Is glass better than 'double layered shatterproof polycarbonate glazing'?

Also are there good alternatives to electric cable heating if needed?
If not I will get the electrician in, as I like Sandy's set up.

Thank you
Old 17-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
I am thinking of putting a small greenhouse at the end of the tort garden where there is sun most of the day. The current plastic mini greenhouse and polycarbonate lean to is not good enough to leave the torts out overnight, I need better security against predators (and the weather).

Thank you
oooh the debate...I have a full greenhouse (why 'green' house have we ever wondered?? it's glass, not green), but I would opt polycarbonate if had a choice again. The panes of glass don't break so easy, easier to maintain in my opinion and there are not so many extremes temp wise.

A point being with these small poly cloches below - They heat up fast and retain heat due the double pockets, easy to maintain and you can choose openings and fastenings. (same with poly GH I think too). I would opt wooden poly GH but a bit more expensive I think than glass GH.

This one is a real cheapy, smaller the space the more heat retained and the vegetation under neath - it is hard to keep the weeds going in a greenhouse in full sun easy under a cloche with secure house in - I place a wooden house under so can lock them up at night if they choose to dig down.

And comparison between glass and polycarbonate (appreciate these are cloches not glass/greenhouses - the glass one is heavy and cold in the mornings but is lovely and sturdy and warms up quick. When you open the poly one on the right its like a warm hair dryer on your face and the panes come out - its so versatile - though not sure if poly ones have moveable panes on a GH variety.

sorry only pickies I could find but it would be good to see some life size Polys too but I do think these are predator proof because of the houses within them - depends if want step in, but my lot never stay in them long enough !

Old 17-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post

Thank you
Personally I dont think there is a lot to choose for retaining heat between poly or glass.
I think the real bonus with glass is its heavy and you dont have to anchor it down. But it can break.
Poly does not break, but will in time crumble, and is easily blown away:0)
So its just really down to what suits you:0)
As for electrics no other way than use an electrician for safety:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
Jan W
Sub Adult

Thank you CB and Sandy - really helpful as usual. CB pictures great to understand and Sandy it was seeing your greenhouse that started me thinking.

I will now have a think, look around and cost too. I have seen a 6'2x 4'2 walk in polycarbonate one, with a floor provided (essential here because of rats and moles I think, plus our water level)

Although they have their indoor pen in the outbuilding it is dark and I have to put the lights on first thing in the morning and on a day like today have kept them in with a lamp on. Although costly I can really see the benefits for them of making the change and I think it is another step forward.

May take a while to sort but will post pictures.

Thank you!